• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese Soupy dessert (糖水)

My interest in chinese dessert soupy 糖水 is greatly influence by my cantonese speaking friends from Hong Kong and elsewhere and over the years I learned on my own through trial and error and my family loves it and ask me to make whenever I am free. However I substitute it with raw sugar or rock sugar which is healthier. I like to make the Black sesame paste or red Bean paste with Glutinous rice ball and others varieties like Hasma with red date and gingko, Sai Mai Lo, Sweet Almond soup, Sweet Walnut soup and others. I live in a tropical climate and I don't know what dessert you normally eat in colder climate?

my 2 cents...

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

Is the sweet dessert soup a Cantonese thingie?

Years ago when I worked in different Chinese restaurants in San Diego, serving "Mandarin" style (a mix of Sichuan, Peking and Shanghai styles... just a name to distinguish it from Cantonese I supposed) Chinese food, none of them offered any dessert except candied apple (or banana) - the one the comes in hot, melted sugar syrup and quenched quickly into iced water. Others served icecream. And one served "banana flambe" because the owner grew up in Paris. :raz:

We ate at a Sichuan style restaurant in Richmond just last weekend. Their Sichuan dishes were wonderful. But when they served up the complimentary "sweet dessert soup" (egg drop, sugar syrup, pineapple (???!!!))... my gosh... it tasted sour! I have never tasted a sour one before... they should just leave these dessert soup to Cantonese chefs. :laugh:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Oh no, they aren't just part of Cantonese cuisine; they're from all over China. Those candied apples and bananas are pretty common in American restaurants, along with green tea ice cream, etc., probably because the owners feel their clientele can't handle anything unusual for dessert. Besides, most Chinese folks I know would rather have fresh fruit after a big meal.

My understanding is that (and correct me if I'm wrong) delicious creamy walnut soup (hetao lao) and silky sweet sesame soup (zhima hu) -- can you tell I'm a big fan? -- are both part of Beijing style cuisine and are usually served hot in cold weather. There are many other wonderful sweet soups from northern and eastern China, too, such as those delicate iced summer soups made out of white fungus, rock sugar, and fruits, or hot red bean and date soup, or mung bean and tapioca soup... I think that part of the confusion is that sweet soups weren't traditionally served as after-dinner sweets in China, but rather as between-meal snacks (dianxin).

www.carolynjphillips.blogspot.com

Cantonese people those from Hong kong that I knew used to cook 糖水 sugar water as a kind of in between meal in the afternoonas light snack. Guese we have to trace history their original 糖水were? Philip mentioned creamy walnut (heata lao)I am looking for that recipe and creamy almond cream to try it out......

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

• 2 months later...

Mark,

Here's a google link for the Taiwanese sewet peanut soup.

http://eastmeetswestkitchen.blogspot.com/2...up-dessert.html

Cookwithlove,

I have a recipe in my Chinese Immigrant Cooking book for Almond Soup, and one for Walnut Tea.

PM me if you're still looking for the recipes.

I like making tang sui with red beans, lotus nuts, blanched peanuts, tangerine peel, with bing tang. Poached egg is good in it too.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hi Dejah,

Sorry for it beltated reply. Yes! Yes, I am looking for recipe on almond and walnut cream dessert.

Alex

Mark,

Here's a google link for the Taiwanese sewet peanut soup.

http://eastmeetswestkitchen.blogspot.com/2...up-dessert.html

Cookwithlove,

I have a recipe in my Chinese Immigrant Cooking book for Almond Soup, and one for Walnut Tea.

PM me if you're still looking for the recipes.

I like making tang sui with red beans, lotus nuts, blanched peanuts, tangerine peel,  with bing tang. Poached egg is good in it too.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

One of my favourite soup desserts is tin bo leung (err no idea how it's spelt), which has longans amongst others. Really refreshing yummmm.

No idea what it is? It's a cantonese dessert?

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

One of my favourite soup desserts is tin bo leung (err no idea how it's spelt), which has longans amongst others. Really refreshing yummmm.

I'm fairly certain it's Cantonese (or at least Southern Chinese). It's normally served cold (again, it's refreshing) and other than the previously mentioned longans (did I mention they were dried?), there's lychees, seaweed slices, chestnuts, pearl barlies and uhh...I don't remeber the rest.

According to what I found online, its Chinese characters are 清补涼.

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/

cookwithlove:

Here's the almond soup from Chinese Immigrant Cooking by Mary Sui Ping Yee:

1/2 cup almond paste

3 cups water

1/2 cup milk

honey to taste

Bring the water to boil and dissolve the almond paste in it, adding the milk to blend into a thick soup.

Serves four.

I've never made this. It sounds too simplistic. :laugh: But perhaps it IS that simple. Not sure about the almond paste. I seem to remember Mom grinding the almonds herself - the Chinese hung yun.

I will check with my mom for her directions next time I go over.

Let us know how it turns out if you try this recipe. :smile:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

cookwithlove:

Here's the almond soup from Chinese Immigrant Cooking by Mary Sui Ping Yee:

1/2 cup almond paste

3 cups water

1/2 cup milk

honey to taste

Bring the water to boil and dissolve the almond paste in it, adding the milk to blend into a thick soup.

Serves four.

I've never made this. It sounds too simplistic.  :laugh: But perhaps it IS that simple. Not sure about the almond paste. I seem to remember Mom grinding the almonds herself - the Chinese hung yun.

I will check with my mom for her directions next time I go over.

Let us know how it turns out if you try this recipe. :smile:

Thanks for the recipe. Certainly will try it out and feedback 2 u ASAP.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

I'm fairly certain it's Cantonese (or at least Southern Chinese). It's normally served cold (again, it's refreshing) and other than the previously mentioned longans (did I mention they were dried?), there's lychees, seaweed slices, chestnuts, pearl barlies and uhh...I don't remeber the rest.

According to what I found online, its Chinese characters are

清补涼. literally means "Cooling & Refreshing" in chinese. Here in Singapore we have a similiar version in hokkien dialect known as "清汤 literally means clear soup(dessert)

First boil the dry longan with water. After a while light brown color emerge and add the following Pong Tai Hai(is cantonese translation for an olive seed after soaking in water a jelly-like substance appear(unfortunately I forgot the english name, will check it out), sago(small, after cooking), lotus seed(Tin or fresh up to you)and pearl barley

my 2 cents...

Edited by Cookwithlove (log)

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

According to what I found online, its Chinese characters are

清补涼. literally means "Cooling & Refreshing" in chinese. Here in Singapore we have a similiar version in hokkien dialect known as "清汤 literally means clear soup(dessert)

First boil the dry longan with water. After a while light brown color emerge and add the following Pong Tai Hai(is cantonese translation for an olive seed after soaking in water a jelly-like substance appear(unfortunately I forgot the english name, will check it out), sago(small, after cooking), lotus seed(Tin or fresh up to you)and pearl barley

my 2 cents...

My mum and aunts make it too so I should ask them about the preparation :)

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/