• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eats near Citizens Bank Park

SaxChik

I'm sure there are South Philly eatery threads in here, but I'm having a hard time tracking them down. I'm taking Dad to the Business Person's Special game tomorrow at Citizens Bank Park. He wants to go out for dinner after and I'm clueless about that part of the city.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

I don't have any South Philly recs, but if you're feeling intrepid the Broad St. line can have you in Center City in about 10 minutes, if you're more familiar with CC.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

L'Angolo!!! Although I'm not sure how early they open...You might need to burn some time, which you can do at McFadden's at the ballpark, or maybe Chickie's and Pete's a few blocks away.

Or, you can drive (or walk) a few blocks north of L'Angolo to Passyunk Avenue where you can grab a post-game margarita at the Cantina and then an early dinner at Le Virtu.

Go Phils!

L'Angolo is a great idea. But if your dad's very adventurous, you could try this tiny Indonesdian place in Point Breeze:

Hardena Restaurant

1754 Hicks St.

$5-$7.50

Wed.-Sat., 11am-8pm; Sun., 10am-8pm.

I'd call in advance to confirm that they'll be open. More info:here

Or, if your dad's an opera fan, there's Victor's Cafe on Dickinson just east of Broad. I've never eaten there, but I hear the novelty is more attractive than the meal.

They open at 5:00 which should put you there just after the game is over and you get your car and drive over. Of course you certainly could grab a drink somewhere so you aren't waiting for them to open up.

If you do end up there, let us know how you liked it.

Thanks, all! I have written down options and will run them past dad tomorrow. I'll let you know where we went and how it was.

Charles Pierce

Thanks, all!  I have written down options and will run them past dad tomorrow.  I'll let you know where we went and how it was.

Criniti's, La Stanza at 20th and Oregon (has a parking lot, terrific food), L'Angolo, Popi's, Pesto, Bomb Bomb or Scannichio's are all good, and are all within 5 minutes of the ballpark.

I really love Criniti's too as well as Scannichio's. Can't speak about the others as I haven't been.

We lived blocks from all of those listed for years before we moved to South Jersey. The mussels posillipo and veal chop at La Stanza are particularly good, and the benefit of the parking lot makes it a great place for those traveling by car. The veal picante, lasagna, and eggplant parm at Criniti's remain the standard by which all others are measured (and I am still searching for something as good or better).

i was at criniti's a couple weeks ago and i can't recommend the seafood dishes. i mean, it's an italian red gravy place, you'd think... i mean, mussels, right? mussels red or white, or on pasta? i mean, they're mussels, they're cheap, an italian place sells a lot and always has them fresh, right?

well, not so much. these things were funkAY. stick to the gravy and meatballs and baked pasta dishes, which still rule.

I had dinner at L'Angolo last week after having been absent for far too long and it was excellent. Shared an arugula salad and asparagus wrapped in prosciutto with grilled shrimp to start, a pasta course that was a special of veal ravioli with truffle cream sauce. DP had a filet special and I had the chicken with pancetta and rosemary. All very delicious and set us back about $40/person with tip for two apps, one pasta and two entrees.

L'Angolo is BYOB, so you'll want to bring a bottle.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Someone upthread suggested getting a margarita at The Cantina los Caballitos. I'd agree about that, but if Dad's at all into Mexican food, I'd then just stay for dinner too. They serve pretty late, and there are several things on that menu that I'm kind of addicted to: the conchinito (roast pork) and the goat tacos in particular. (get the pineapple salsa on the side.)

In that neighborhood I'm also fond of Marra's for pizza, but really only for pizza...

I wanted to like Le Virtu and Paradiso more than I actually did, each had some good elements, but at both places I ended up underwhelmed.

Any of those restaurants are pretty easy to find from the ballpark: drive north on Broad, then make a soft right onto Passyunk, all these places are within a few blocks, just drive down Passyunk, you'll see them.

That said, L'Angolo sounds like a good plan too...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

So ... the game was great, but it was also REALLY FAST! it started at 1pm and was done a little after 3pm. We didn't feel like hanging around the city for too long (Dad lives in NJ near Great Adventure) and I'm out in West Chester, plus we were also a little disheveled, having spent a few hours out in the humid air in our Phils gear.

Taking all that into consideration, we ended up at Bomb Bomb for ribs. It was a really nice experience! I really haven't spent much time in South Philly, but as we walked in the door, all the folks in the bar area (workers and patrons) all greeted us with "Hellos" and "How are you's". That was mighty nice.

Dad and I each got the baby back ribs. I got a whole rack with the spicy sauce (took half home for the hub). Dad got a half a rack with the mild sauce. They gave us bread (olive oil and spices on the table) and a nice little garden salad. The ribs were delish! Very meaty, nice amount of sauce, kind of crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. It was served with fries and slaw. A perfect post-ball game meal.

Now that I feel a little more comfortable roaming around South Philly, I'd like to go back, eat some actual Italian food and hit the markets.

Thanks for your suggestions!

p.s. I tried to take some pics with my cell phone, but it was a little too dark in the dining room.

Charles Pierce