• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Try this quiz: what's on the cheese plate?

Hardly any cheese posts lately so I thought that I'd see if I can drum up a bit of traffic.

gallery_22910_3184_35594.jpg

Here's a picture of the cheese platter we had yesterday.

The quiz is to try to name them. It will be tough as the picture doesn't show their texture all that well, but have a go anyway.

Bonus quiz! Name the three types of flower that decorate the cheese platter. (Hint! They are all from edible herbs.)

Bonus quiz! Name the three types of flower that decorate the cheese platter. (Hint! They are all from edible herbs.)

Hah! I got nothin' on the cheese, but the herbs look like sage (long stalks of purple flowers), chives (single whispy lighter-purple flowers), and maybe thyme (I can't see that one as well, but thyme has tiny white flowers).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Not to mention that it's a trick for us Americans since even if we can get the cheese, it sure doesn't look like that!

The 2 on the right are some kind of soft-ripeneds - wedge prob some kind of brie type and one above looks like something that could turn oozier - maybe a triple creme.

Little disc looks lightly washed - maybe a young St. Felecian or Marcellin? One the left is confusing me - if you were in the UK I would say it is one of their "cheeses with stuff in it". It looks like chives or herbs, but since it's French, I'm thinking it might be seeds like cumin, which would mean Northern France like Munster...but the cheese doesn't look like that at all! So, I'll be curious when y reveal the answer.

As for the garnish, I"m going with Rosemary, Oregano or Thyme (after all they are related) and def chive blossoms.

Looks pretty damn good!

YES!!!!!

Rob, we posted at the same time, so I didn't see your choice, but - that is exactly what it is!!!

Right shape, and everything....well done!

Watch....now Dave will tell we we are both wrong....

Hah! I got nothin' on the cheese, but the herbs look like sage (long stalks of purple flowers), chives (single whispy lighter-purple flowers), and maybe thyme (I can't see that one as well, but thyme has tiny white flowers).

Brilliant Chris! Three out of three!

YES!!!!!

Rob, we posted at the same time, so I didn't see your choice, but  - that is exactly what it is!!!

Right shape, and everything....well done!

Watch....now Dave will tell we we are both wrong....

No,you're right. The one on the left is a Gaperon.

As a hint I will say that both of those on the right are blue cheeses.

The one at the top does get runny. (In fact it was nice & runny & is no more because it all got eaten) It not any of those you've mentioned. Care to guess the type of milk?

As far as I know the little pellets at the bottom don't have a proper name.

I knew I'd seen those little pale corks of cheese somewhere---in one of Lucy's memorable blogs. She knows all the fun stuff.

Perhaps a lot of types and flavors are now being sold and presented in these tiny nibble-sizes, but these are the only ones I've ever seen. These may be totally different, but they look much the same:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=64184&st=30:

PS: Had you tried the cheeses before, or are they ones you regularly enjoy? I just wondered if the essence of the blossoms somehow might transfer another taste to them, either enhancing or detracting a bit from their usual flavors.

(I really thought that when I thought the long purple ones were lavender, which is rather a strong adjunct to most foods, especially a delicate dairy one).

Edited by racheld (log)

I knew I'd seen those little pale corks of cheese somewhere---in one of Lucy's memorable blogs.  She knows all the fun stuff.

Perhaps a lot of types and flavors are now being sold and presented in these tiny nibble-sizes, but these are the only ones I've ever seen.  These may be totally different, but they look much the same:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=64184&st=30:

PS:  Had you tried the cheeses before, or are they ones you regularly enjoy?  I just wondered if the essence of the blossoms somehow might transfer another taste to them, either enhancing or detracting a bit from their usual flavors. 

(I really thought that when I thought the long purple ones were lavender, which is rather a strong adjunct to most foods, especially a delicate dairy one).

Yes, but even the revered Lucy doesn't actually name them; the little 'corks' that is. As I recall the very nice guy on the stand told me that he didn't think they had a name in French, but only in Occitan. I'll ask him again next time I go to Villefranche market. All of his cheeses come from their farm just North of Villeneuve.

These are the only 'bite sized' cheeses that I see. The cabecou's and crottins are quite a bit larger.

It was a bit of a mixed bag on new vs. old types. The Gaperon, the 'corks' the Preferance (bottom right side) and the rouelle de Brebis (Top) are all known to me & have been eaten before. The Blue de Montagne (upper Right side) is new to me. Have never seen it before & think it may be a new variety. The label just says made from "Mountain Milk" not which kind & not exactly where. It was nice, reasonably pungent. I'll try it again & try to get more information.

The blossoms were strictly decorative. I'm not a great fan of 'flavoured' cheeses. In our part of France its still a bit early for lavender blossom. Our lavender is growing like mad, but is a few weeks away from bursting out.

I know they've already been named, but I just had to tell you that is one of the most beautiful cheese platters that I've seen. The edible herbs are a gorgeous touch. Seems very 'spring' like!