• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molecular gastronomy at home?

jgm

I'm not sure what to make of this.

The Summer 2008 Dean and Deluca catalog (page 17) has Molecular Gastronomy toys available. From the master himself.

You, too, for only $200, can order the "Texturas Spherification Minikit", to create such foods as Margaritas with Salt Air, Feta Water Fettuccine, Mojito Gelification, and Parmesan Eggless Egg.

"Complete with five different powders, three special tools, recipes and complete instructions, the kit comes with everything you need to create hot and cold gelatins, produce ultralight textures and transform your favorite flavors into spheres of different sizes(think caviar, marbles and eggs)."

Is this a chemistry set for adults? The grown-up version of the Easy-Bake oven?

And more importantly: will you try it?

Personally, given the price, I doubt I will.

Can you see purchasing these products for serious cooking in your own home, or just to play around with? The produces included are Gluco, Algin, Xantana, Lecite, Agar, three tools, and an instruction and recipe booklet.

Jenny

I can definitely see purchasing those things to play with. I have all of those and many more and I don't really have use for most of it at work, it's just for fun. The trick is to buy them (sans the texturas name) somewhere like Chef Rubber, L'epicerie, Le Sanctuaire, etc. and you can get lbs. of assorted fun goodies to play with for the same money you'd spend on that little kit. Most of the "tools" you'd need are already in your kitchen or easily obtained. The recipes are all over the internet and easily found, I (and I'm sure many others here) have a pretty extensive collection of bookmarks to get you started with. So, to make a long reply longer, yes... do play. It's fun. Spend your money wisely and you can get a whole lot more to play with for the same money or the same collection as in the kit for much less money.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

And more importantly:  will you try it?

Personally, given the price, I doubt I will.

Thumbs way down for me.

This one belongs with the Juicy Salif (Phillipe Stark's clever but way overpriced juicer) and that thousand dollar Italian toaster I saw in Toronto. Are you kidding me?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack