• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When to comp?

walter maier

We went away for our anniversay this weekend, not far, Goshen, NY. We decided to try dinner at Ile de France (advertised as French American Dining) in Goshen last night. I should preface this to say we stopped in earlier in the evening to make a reservation for later, and the VERY young fellow (he may have been 15) who was dealing with the silverware said "Um, the owner isn't here, can you call back later?" We then asked if they get very crowded on Saturdays, and he replied that they have had problems with staffing, so they aren't as crowded as they used to be. Right away, alarm bells went off, but we said, give them a go anyway.

We arrived around 645pm, without a reservation. They sat us, with only a minor (less than 1 minute) delay. We ordered a bottle of wine, potato soup and salads and filet mignon med rare for both. Soup came out right away. Salad followed close behind. Our entrees on the other hand, were at least 1 hour, maybe more, behind the salad. The food was very good, but what's up with the service? I mean, the entertainment consisted of us watching other tables -- oh look, they just asked the waitress what's up, and oh look, they got their entrees, we're only 7 more to go!

We didn't order dessert for several reasons, including it might have been well past our bed time before we got our dessert. We did not make a scene, and tipped the wait staff reasonably, since it obviously was not their fault.

But what should the restaurant have done, or, what should WE have done, if anything? I have only walked out on one restaurant, and am loathe to do so unless I feel we are being ignored or mistreated. I realize that some nights may be beyond anyone's control.

Tommy, thanks, I guess we should have, even though the sarcastic crack of "Mmm, yes, the filet mignon was worth the wait." was made. :smile:

Plenty of other folks made comments (my wife has a good combo of hearing and lip reading), so would our comment have made any matter, especially since we were blow-ins that evening?

Tommy is 100% right. Comments from customers should ALWAYS matter to management. Especially when things are amiss. A forthright statement to the manager is always good, at the time of the problem, if possible, or on your way out if not. Little sarcastic comments to the waiter do no good; either they are not even heard, or they just make the waiter want to be even worse. :sad: It doesn't matter if you were the first or the fifteenth customer to complain; a problem is a problem every time. And finally, you were there, right? Whether they expected you or not, YOU expected a certain level of service.

Hey listen, if something is wrong you MUST express yourself while in the restaurant, first while dining to your server. Second, if that doesn't help the situation then talk to management on the way out

Third and last post it here.

But if it's about my place send me a PM. :biggrin:

I hate to read about my downfalls here!! :laugh:

This sounds as if there was a major problem in the kitchen. Obviously, you were not being singled out here since you say that you noticed other diners were asking their servers what was going on. However, your server was totally remiss in not coming to your table while you were waiting and apologizing to you for the delay. While she had no control over what was going on in the kitchen, letting you know that she was aware of the fact that the wait was way too long was the least she could have done. And the owner or manager should certainly have come over to apologize as well.

I think at this point you were between the proverbial rock and a hard place -- annoyed at how long it was taking to get the main course, but too far into the meal to leave and go to another restaurant. Even if you did leave, you could not be assured of getting a table someplace else. And the fact that you were celebrating a special occasion must have added to the annoyance.

A few months ago, when we had dinner at Stage Left in New Brunswick, we ran into a delay problem with our first course -- though one not nearly as long as yours. Our server apologized to us several times before the food finally arrived. And when we received our bill, without ever saying a word to us, they comped our desserts. That's the kind of classy "apology" you definitely deserved.

Since the personnel in this restaurant seems to have exhibited little concern for their customers' feelings, I agree with the others that you should have complained to the manager and made it clear that they ruined your celebration.

[but what should the restaurant have done, or, what should WE have done, if anything?]

- if service is particualarly poor and you do not plan to go back, I would tip low. I do not see why you would expect to be comped when they had poor service. On the other hand, I have waited for close to an hour at restaurants I enjoy and I have become impatient but I did give the full tip for the reason that I planned to go back despite the bad service on that particular night.

You as the consumer have the discretion of tipping.

Walter, you said (as many others at eGullet have said before you) that although you were very unhappy at your experience, you "tipped the wait staff reasonably, since it obviously was not their fault"

I can't go along with this. The primary source of the problem may not have been the fault of the waitstaff, but as Rozrapp points out they didn't even bother to let you know what was happening or why, or to apologize, or to look after you in any way by the sound of it. What they did was the minimum they were required to do, they brought the food when it was ready and removed the dirty plates. I don't think that warrants a tip, and certainly nothing close to a "reasonable" tip.

I have to say that I disagree with Dodge's principle that you can tip low if you're not planning to go back, but high if you do intend to go back. Now that is taking unfair advantage of a server. If a server gives good service, you should give a good tip, and vice versa. It has nothing to do with whether you ever intend to go there again.

With a delay of that significance, I would be expecting complimentary drinks or dessert, not just an apology.

[Of course, if I don't intend to go back to a restaurant, I not only don't tip, I also stuff as many mints into my pockets as I can, and take toilet rolls from the bathrooms]

Jes a coupla cents worth.

I think that there are rare occasions where the situation demands that you stiff a waiter, but if you do, it is imperative that you explain why, face to face. Also tell the manager why you're doing so.

Nick

[ have to say that I disagree with Dodge's principle that you can tip low if you're not planning to go back, but high if you do intend to go back. Now that is taking unfair advantage of a server. If a server gives good service, you should give a good tip, and vice versa. It has nothing to do with whether you ever intend to go there again. ]

so you disagree

if I had many good experiences at a place and then one night they are extremely slow, I find it to my own disadvantage to tip low. why because I know the people. IT has EVERYTHING to do with whether I intend to go back there again.