• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rose cookies

blackcat

Hi

I'm working on vanilla rose shortbread for a wholesale client. I've got the flavor where I like it. But after a couple of days it is not as strong. Currently I'm using rose water. I had thought maybe if I put a very light royal icing scented with rose on the top that might help. What do you think? Any advice?

thanks

blackcat

I make a shorbread type cookie that I take coarse sugar I have rubbed with food grade rose petals that are very fragrant then sprinkle the sugar with the smashed up petals in there still on top before baking

a tiny bit of rose extract in the cookie themselves would be fine

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I make a shorbread type cookie that I take coarse sugar I have rubbed with food grade rose petals that are very fragrant

I haven't tried cookies but I did the same for a batch of rose petal ice cream I made. I blitzed rose petals and sugar together, cooked it in the custard, then strained it and I got a nice rose flavor and aroma.

I used the ice cream with almond milk anglaise and a raspberry-lychee puree to make Ispahan Sundaes. Not as classy as the P.H. creation but inspired by it. The rose flavor stood out in the mix and, several weeks later when I discovered a small container of leftover ice cream in my freezer, it was still fragrant and flavorful. I don't know if the difference is the fresh petals instead of rosewater or the fact that I was dealing with a frozen product but the flavor definitely didn't suffer much from time.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I love the idea of the rosesugar. It could be quite pretty. My only problem is finding food grade roses right now.

I'll try to find the the rose oil and give that a shot.

Thanks

I use Aura Cacia's Bourbon Geranium when making rose caramels (bon bons), an oil which you can find at major supermarkets or the likes of Whole Foods, in the aromatherapy section. This is the oil of pelargonium graveolens. This is extremely potent; I'd use only one drop per 2 cups of sugar + fat (e.g. butter or cream).

I love the idea of the rosesugar.  It could be quite pretty.  My only problem is finding food grade roses right now.

Thanks

Do you have an Indian market at all there or look online for Indian food products it would be less expensive

they sell rose essence, and rose petals for cooking

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I love the idea of the rosesugar.  It could be quite pretty.  My only problem is finding food grade roses right now.

Thanks

Do you have an Indian market at all there or look online for Indian food products it would be less expensive

they sell rose essence, and rose petals for cooking

hummingbirdkiss

that's a great idea! i completely forgot we have a local indian market. I'm going to drive over today to check it out. I wish we had a middle eastern market that would be my next stop. I live in Vermont and while I can get some great ingrediants getting specialty ones can sometimes be a challenge.

blackcat