• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue Water Grill

jeffperez62

Thumbs up. Very reliable seafood. Nothing Earth-shattering but that's not the mission. It's a cool place and there's nothing wrong with the food.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I think it isn't a foodie place so the place isn't full of the kind of serious eaters you get in other NYC restaurants. Hence Mogsob's description of the crowd. But aside from that the food is pretty good, if a bit plain for my taste. But the outdoor seating on the terrace that runs along the side of the restaurant is nice.

The room is dramatic, the people "buzzy," service is friendly and competent, and the food is tasty and well prepared. The menu is quite large. I had a lobster roll at lunch recently and it was very good. If you like that kind of "scene" and want a good seafood meal in that area, you'll enjoy it.

We were just there this past Sunday for brunch, and the population was mixed age-wise. Despite the fact that the place was crowded, we did not find it noisy. Perhaps that was a factor of where we were sitting -- on the first level banquettes under a dropped ceiling. As for our food, it was quite good. My husband had an excellent lobster salad, and my tasty salmon was cooked exactly as I requested. Our servers were very friendly and helpful. When I ordered and asked that the mashed potatoes that came with the salmon be eliminated (there were also asparagus), the server asked if I would like a salad instead. It turned out to be an excellent suggestion. The greens were dressed with a tasty balsamic vinaigrette, and the salmon was placed on top with the asparagus cut up and strewn around. My only quibble was with dessert. I was looking forward to the key lime pie which had been at BWG, to my way of thinking, a perfect version of one of my favorite desserts -- traditional graham cracker crust topped with very tangy key lime filling and just a tiny garnish of whipped cream. :smile: But, they have now changed it and not, imo, for the better. :angry: The key lime "filling," which has been sweetened so that much of the tang has been lost, is now in the shape of a bombe, and it sits on a disc made of what appears to be some sort of vanilla wafer. Not awful, but certainly not anywhere near as delicious as the old version. When our server asked how it was, I told her how disappointed I was. She said that she also thought the original version was better and she would mention my comment to the chef.

• 5 years later...

No, it's really no longer good. The last two times ive been there I've been upset and angry by the obvious innattention to detail or quailty. Save your money. The fish is not prepared well, the whole restaurant has lost a lot of it's luster. For good fish, in a fun setting try Mermaid Inn or Lure Fishbar...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.