• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Save Your Fave

jhlurie

Picking up some food at a neighborhood joint--El Idolo--I had the usual commiseration session with the owner about how bad business is, and how he's had a tough time drawing attention to his little hole in the wall, and how he'd turned the drink fridge towards the door in hopes of drawing walk-in business from thirsty passers by.

I said all the right things, shook my head up and down and sideways at the right time, paid for my food and left.

It got me thinking... there are some places where you WISH you could help more, but you know that you can't really do all that much. We can post reviews here on eGullet, and tell our friends, but sometimes it's just not enough.

The purpose of this thread is NOT specifically for El Idolo, they are a solid enough place to get Ecuadoran food, if you happen to be looking for a hole in the wall place with that (and you don't live that far away), but instead to create a specific place where NJ eGulleteers can let out a shout to patronize places which are deserving (and by that I mean either "good" for a neighborhood place or "very good" for a place worth travelling for), and yet STILL seem to be on the edge of failure. This posting should be seperate from any review of the place you might give in another thread (which can be linked back to your post here, or vice-versa).

Perhaps this may allow a more direct approach, since the "review" threads get spread out quite a bit. In my mind, this thread would be for restaurants in any range--from hole-in-the-wall to fine dining, in any area of NJ, of any cuisine type, with the sole commonality that they are doing SOMETHING interesting enough to deserve a look, but that their number may almost be up, business-wise.

So what are your favorite places which need our help? Be specific with the location, the relative excellence (you might be recommending it for one specific dish... fine, just SAY so), and whether its worth travelling for or should just be investigated by locals. If you know the reason, explain why the place seems to be minus customers. :hmmm:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Apparently La Posada in Teaneck fell into this category but I HAD NO IDEA!! I wish I had, otherwise I would've posted it here. Well, at the very least I'm popping this thread to the top now so that maybe we can get a little heads-up on other places which may not be doing well yet would be greatly missed.

i've been getting some weird vibes from China 46 in Ridgefield. during the week, they seem to have a skeleton crew of disunterested guys waiting the tables. cecil is no where to be found. the food doesn't seem up to snuff.

or perhaps this is a sign that they're doing really well and cecil doesn't have to be around. either way, it's a much better place when cecil is there. i'd certainly hate to see this place go.

[the food doesn't seem up to snuff.]

so is it worth saving with food not up to snuff?

china 46 is a favorite of many people here on egullet, and has been praised endlessly. the point is that if they are struggling, and i have no real evidence that they are, perhaps they are not able to perform as well as they have/can. increased patronage would ostensibly rectify this.

Weird, we go to C46 all the time, especially during the week, and we've never been there when Cecil was not.

if memory serves, the last 2 times he has not been there, but they were monday or tuesday nights. one of those nights, the place was simply overwhelmed (with only several tables full) and it took us a *very* long time to get out. i've been hesitant to return early in the week for fear of that happening again.

i've been getting some weird vibes from China 46 in Ridgefield.  during the week, they seem to have a skeleton crew of disunterested guys waiting the tables.  cecil is no where to be found.  the food doesn't seem up to snuff.

or perhaps this is a sign that they're doing really well and cecil doesn't have to be around.  either way, it's a much better place when cecil is there.  i'd certainly hate to see this place go.

Oh No! :shock::shock:

I haven't been yet. Shit!

Nick

OKay... the last two times I've been to China 46 were times when I THOUGHT the place should have been packed, and three or four tables, tops, were occupied (one of the two times was a FRIDAY night, the other a Tuesday). Cecil WAS there both times, although on one occasion he didn't show up until near the end of the meal.

The person I'd REALLY be concerned about "not being there", even more than Cecil, is the Chef--Peter. Then again he's in the back out of sight... so its tough to know his exact where and when-abouts.

The food seemed fine both times though, so other than a casual comment to Cecil I really didn't make much of it.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 4 weeks later...

Went with my family to China 46 last evening and we once again had a wonderful meal. We started with crab and tofu in a spicey sauce that was nothing less than outstanding. We then went for the scallops with basil in a black bean sauce that was very different from any other preparation of this dish that we have had many times before and again, we all loved it. We ended with chicken with broccoli and vegetable chow fong. Drank a couple of bottles of german spatleser's and went home very happy. The restaurant, by 8:00 had quite a few people waiting for tables. So, those of you that are worried about this restaurant, have no fear. It has kept me from schleping to Chinatown and hopefully for a long time.

Hank

There's an interesting report in today's Ledger about a change in the NJ corporate tax system which probably impacts small restaurants.

A tax is now collected on gross revenues as an alternate to a tax on "profits" since so many smaller companies were able to cook the books and minimize taxable income. The examples include several small firms which saw their income taxes quadruple.

I'll read it more thoroughly later and see if there's a direct impact on restaurants.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

There's an interesting report in today's Ledger about a change in the NJ corporate tax system which probably impacts small restaurants.

A tax is now collected on gross revenues as an alternate to a tax on "profits" since so many smaller companies were able to cook the books and minimize taxable income. The examples include several small firms which saw their income taxes quadruple.

I'll read it more thoroughly later and see if there's a direct impact on restaurants.

when you say "collected," you don't mean that the tax burden at that end of the year is based on revenue rather than income minus deductions, do ya?

very very interested Paul. Is there a link to the article online??

Nick

• 3 months later...

I'd like to recommend Jingle Inn Japanese Restaurant. The manager is really trying to be innovative with some of his special sushi rolls, while at the same time they have all the traditional stuff, nice and fresh. They also do the raw bar treatment to oysters and clams. In its previous incarnation it was a bar and that part still exists. They have a full bar and a projection TV system which is usually showing some kind of sports (when it's not busy they'll put on something else if you'd prefer). In addition, the bar area is a nice place for a single diner to eat.

Jason and I have gone there several times and are always impressed with the food, but they rarely have more than a handful of tables occupied.

Jingle Inn is on Grand Avenue in Ridgefield, right at the end of the exit ramp off of Rt 46 E.