• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Bill Miller

We are building a gazebo in our back yard and installing a pizza oven. We are getting the small home oven shown on this website- www.losangelesovenworks.com --I'm looking for tips on how to build this. Any thoughts from those of you who have an oven and would have done something different or are happy with what you have--recipes? Anything.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

We are building a gazebo in our back yard and installing a pizza oven.  We are getting the small home oven shown on this website- www.losangelesovenworks.com --I'm looking for tips on how to build this. Any thoughts from those of you who have an oven and would have done something different or are happy with what you have--recipes? Anything.

Last fall we put in a patio with a gazebo off of a pizza oven and got to really use it this past summer (this is upstate NY and not Texas!). I am not handy, so we worked with a local design firm after getting estimates for the work. The bulk of the cost was for the masonry that the pizza oven is set into. We decreased some of the cost by using a cultured stone facade instead of real stone, although we have natural limestone counters for work space. The gazebo is made of pressure treated lumber with decorative fiberglass columns. The roof is vented through a cupola and we have a ceiling fan for times the chimney draw might not be as developed, for example when you just start a fire. Our oven is by Mugnaini (which is also used by Chez Panisse, although ours is the residential model). The Forno Bravo oven page is a good source of info with an active forum. You can also find tips from other wood fired oven owners such as here or by joining the Yahoo Brick Oven Group. The forums at Pizzamaking.com are also terrific with many who have wood fired ovens and too many recipes to count from pizza fanatics. Youtube also has some great videos of pizzas in the oven. We are still learning to use our oven beyond pizza. Breads are another whole learning experience- still getting the hang of it. Some pics below. One of my best investments. Good luck. You won't regret it (unless you have to move).

gallery_26764_5642_820811.jpg

gallery_26764_5642_22693.jpg

gallery_26764_5642_103225.jpg

gallery_26764_5642_40760.jpg

Alan Scott, Ovencrafters, has plans that includes materials lists for the home builder. I'm starting one this spring, as well. Got to say Ciao, your patio area looks great tying in the gazebo with the oven.

Raoul

"I drink to make other people interesting".