• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mass production of dim sum

Dejah

Thanks, Everyone!

I thought I had recuperated, but I think the adrenolin has worn down and I am feeling very tired. Glad it's nearly the weekend.

The counts and reports are in, and the "new kids on the block" were the hit of the festival! Kinda made everything worthwhile. :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday we had an appreciation party for all the volunteers from the Chinese Pavilion. Chef Thomas and his crew cooked a lot of food - enough for +100 people, using up some of the pork and jiaozi. I think they must have split up the menu and each cooked a dish in their home kitchens. The food was brought in foil roasters and still hot when they arrived.

The food line-up:

gallery_13838_5646_82703.jpg

Some of the dishes:

seafood medley:they used a pre-packaged mix then added fresh clams and shrimp.

gallery_13838_5646_63956.jpg

beef, daikon, carrots

gallery_13838_5646_95663.jpg

shredded pork in the middle with vegetable medley:

gallery_13838_5646_36986.jpg

pickles:

gallery_13838_5646_32987.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

More pictures from the volunteer appreciation party:

This was a seaweed of some kind :unsure:

gallery_13838_5646_170540.jpg

one of two trays of salty chicken:

gallery_13838_5646_79309.jpg

sweet 'n'sour pork:

gallery_13838_5646_66048.jpg

This weekend is the delayed Spring Festival party - more food!

dessert!

gallery_13838_5646_156857.jpg

and tiny 8-treasure rice

gallery_13838_5646_135149.jpg

and the appreciative volunteers!

gallery_13838_5646_101265.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Boy look at all that food! I sure wish I was one of those volunteers, Dejah. I just wanna get a plate and reach into my computer screen and get a portion of everything.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

• 11 months later...

It's time for the Brandon Lieutenant Governor's Winter Festival of Cultures again. Last year was our first venture, so we feel a bit more organized this time around.

We will be serving deep fried wontons, mixed vegtables, hor fun. The main pork dish is a recipe by 2 of our chefs who work for Maple Leaf. Both recipes called for light curry flavouring. Thursday and Friday is lightly battered, deep fried and with a sauce. Saturday will be braised, I think. They both tasted great. :biggrin:

We mixed up 60 lbs of ground pork yesterday according to my old restaurant recipe as posted in my blog in 2004. One group of 8 Guangdong ladies will start making them starting at 1 pm, then a group of 9 my Chinese students will take over until 9 pm. One former student will be in at 3 to mix up another 60 lbs. This seems more manageable than last year's 18,000 dumplings! However, we have to make the wontons each day for the wrapper to fry up properly. These cannot be frozen before-hand like the siu mai and jiaozi. 2 of the students will be deep frying once the pavilion opens at 6:00. Saturday we will open at noon.

Tsingtao beer and Great Wall shiraz will be served at the bar.

Hope to have photos of the food and event up later, but you can see our efforts from last year at:

www.westmanchinese.com

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com