• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calf's Liver and Onions

Celine

Mmmmm liver

All this talk of liver has me jonesing for some liver and onions with a nice chianti :laugh:

Ok, you guys may think im nuts, but here goes...

Ill make a liver pate with some caramalized onions, and then I will put the pate on a toasted bagel, and put marmalade on top....

Dont bash it till you try it!

Its delicious!

I also love liver and onions with a side of mashed potatos and gravy.

I prepare this at home whenever the urge hits me.

While I enjoy chicken and calves liver, my favorite is beef

liver.

Liver and onions is arguably the dish I order most from a diner.

Liver of all kinds and styles for me. Lamb liver is the best for "liver and onions". Absolutely best liver you can eat.

Saute'd chicken livers on pasta with a good tomato sauce. Chinese style stir fried.

Pork liver, sliced very thin, dropped in a very hot bowl of jook(congee).

Liverwurst, pate's, etc. I love the texture and taste.

I loved liver as a kid - still do. I was probably the only kid in Texas who would eat and enjoy liver and onions. My mom would always saute chicken livers for me, and she had to keep me away from the turkey liver that would go in our giblet gravy.

My daughter shares my love of liver - chicken livers that is. She is not so fond of calves liver. My husband won't try liver straight, but he is a big fan of pate. My son loves pate so much I have to hide the stuff in the fridge - he could eat it all in one sitting.

For Valentine's dinner I had a lovely pan seared foie gras. The week before, I had fois gras that was so rare I felt like Rosemary (from Rosemary's Baby).

Yes, folks, I am a liver lover.

My family was always split - Dad and brother hated liver, Mom and me loved it. Whenever I visited the folks after college, I'd offer to make any dinner they wanted. Dad always got steak with bleu cheese, and Mom got liver and onions.

Try using sherry or sherry vinegar to deglaze - slightly sweet, yet has that edge you need for the rich liver.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I have never cooked liver myself because I am squeamish about touching raw meat in general and offal in particular. But the Biker Dude and I often have liver, onions, and bacon at a local 24-hour diner. I tend to be a little anemic and a good, juicy, iron-filled piece of liver is just the ticket. BD doesn't like onions, so he gives me his -- such a gentleman!

"It is a fact that he once made a tray of spanakopita using Pam rather than melted butter. Still, though, at least he tries." -- David Sedaris

I was just mentioning this a couple days ago... we never eat liver anymore....

will make the liver, bacon onion standard next week!

till then, i remember a recipe for liver in milk. i cut out the recipe years ago, but dont remember making it. i believe it was seared and then baked maybe?

anybody heard of similar?

cheers

ozmouse

melbourne

I loved liver as a kid - still do.  I was probably the only kid in Texas who would eat and enjoy liver and onions.

I did too! It was one of my favorite meals as a child. I continued to love it until nursing school and Anatomy and Physiology class. Something about those Kupffer cells. :unsure:

I had some iron issues during a twin pregnancy, so I went to Luby's Cafeteria once a week for their liver and onions. I could eat it as long as I did not have to prepare it.

If you can't act fit to eat like folks, you can just set here and eat in the kitchen - Calpurnia

So, what are some favorite treatments for pork liver? It happens I have several packages in the freezer, leftovers from the hog we had butchered. So far they've continued taking up space while the pork roast, chops, ham, etc. have vanished. Every time I look at a package labeled 'Pork Liver' I remember Mason Williams' "Them Poems". (Anyone else remember "Them Hog Liver Likers"?) That doesn't help clear out the freezer.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 years later...

I had a hankering that wouldn't go away, so a version of what my grandmother did, except that I don't cook the liver to death.

gallery_6263_35_79307.jpg

Thinly sliced organic calves liver from my local meat market, floured, and fried, with onions. Actually, I start the onions first, then toss them into a bowl, brown the liver, remove, return onions to pan, and lay the liver on top.

A bit of balsamic after the food is done and removed from the pan to deglaze.

This time around, Peter ate and liked the liver.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I love :wub::wub: liver and onions. Why oh why can't my local diner figure out how to cook liver rare instead of well done ( which I detest)? :angry: I'm the only one at home who loves this dish and buying liver (calves or chicken) from my organic meat supplyer in small enough quantities for one is nearly impossible. Do chicken or calves livers freeze well enough to pan fry when thawed or is there a loss in texture and flavour?

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh