• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Insipid Potato

Shel_B

Yesterday I purchased a couple of nice looking, firm, Oregon russet potatoes. and baked them as I usually do. These were conventional potatoes, not the organic "free range" 'taters I generally purchase. I've not had a conventional potato in many years.

These potatoes were terrible - almost tasteless, and certainly not as flavorful as any of the organic russets I can remember. I have a theory about this. I read somewhere that the fields used to grow conventional potatoes are sterilized, which means that many organisms found in the soil naturally are no longer active. Organicly grown potatoes aren't grown in such soil, and therefore have the benefit of these organisms, and end up tasting better.

Does anyone have any more information on how conventional potatoes are grown, especially in Oregon and Idaho?

Regardless, I'll probably never buy another conventionally grown russet potato again, especially from Oregpon or Idaho.

shel

... Shel

Yesterday I purchased a couple of nice looking, firm, Oregon russet potatoes. and baked them as I usually do. These were conventional potatoes, not the organic "free range" 'taters I generally purchase. I've not had a conventional potato in many years.

These potatoes were terrible - almost tasteless, and certainly not as flavorful as any of the organic russets I can remember. I have a theory about this. I read somewhere that the fields used to grow conventional potatoes are sterilized, which means that many organisms found in the soil naturally are no longer active. Organicly grown potatoes aren't grown in such soil, and therefore have the benefit of these organisms, and end up tasting better.

Does anyone have any more information on how conventional potatoes are grown, especially in Oregon and Idaho?

Regardless, I'll probably never buy another conventionally grown russet potato again, especially from Oregpon or Idaho.

shel

If you read the chapter on potatoes in Michael Pollan's Botany of Desire I can almost guarantee you that you'll never buy another conventionally grown russet potato again. I never have. He tells you everything you need to know about conventional potato growing. I now annoy my husband by referring to conventional russets as "Monitor potatoes" (after the scary chemical discussed at length in the book).

If you read the chapter on potatoes in Michael Pollan's Botany of Desire I can almost guarantee you that you'll never buy another conventionally grown russet potato again. I never have. He tells you everything you need to know about conventional potato growing. I now annoy my husband by referring to conventional russets as "Monitor potatoes" (after the scary chemical discussed at length in the book).

Ahhh - that might be where I got my information from. I talked with a potato farmer in Canada earlier who confirmed my suspicions.

There was at least a chapter in Fast Food Nation devoted to Simplot and the methods used for growing conventional potatoes.

I generally don't buy them - in fact, these were the first "Monitor potatoes" I bought in years - I'll not make that mistake again! Gawd, they were awful, but even more awful is how they're grown.

Thanks,

shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Please tell me what's bad. The chemicals used to make conventional potatoes all grow with fewer bugs and blotches and stuff? I mean I could look it up but while you are on a roll, enlighten me. Thanks

For starters:

http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/food-cookin...html#post204546

shel

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

^ Very interesting! I read the information in the link you provided and was glad to see the recommendation for commercial Yukon Golds. I've continued to buy those on the completely uninformed assumption that, because they are presumably not as overbred as Russets, they aren't produced with as many chemicals. I do still notice a pretty big flavor difference compared to organic, though. I wonder if they kill the tops of Yukon Golds with Roundup, too (don't see why they wouldn't). Very disturbing.