• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long is "X" ingredient still good?

Richard Kilgore

From time to time I am puzzled about how long an ingredient is still useable and when it should be dumped. I assume others may have similar quesions, so I'll kick this off since I found a couple of aging things lurking when cleaning out the pantry.

Vahlrona Coco Powder - stored in ziplock bag?

Flour - stored in airtight containers?

How long will they keep?

Edited to add: And what are the signs they are over the hill? (Thanks, gfron1.)

Edited by Richard Kilgore (log)

In my experience, the Dutched process cocoa is much more stable and can be stored far longer than "natural" cocoa.

As long as it is stored in a tightly sealed container, at low humidity (I stick one of small silica gel packs on the underside of the lid in the containers I use), and at less than 68 degrees F., it should keep for at least three years and I have used some that was older and had no problems with it.

Most flour products now have a "Best if used by" date stamped on them. As long as it is plain flour, with no additives, such as "self-rising" flour, you can stretch that date by 6 months or so.

Taste is a good indication, take a tiny bit on a spoon, dip a slightly dampened finger into it and taste.

If you can detect any hint of bitterness, it is past time to dump it.

Whole meal flour has a much shorter storage life than all-purpose. Cake flour, even more refined, will last longer.

Again, these have to be stored in an airtight container (I always transfer any grain products to Cambro round containers) and away from any moisture, heat and light.

I store whole wheat, multi-grain and similar products in a freezer.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Good topic Richard. I'll add cocoa butter to the list.

BUT, its a tricky question since many products don't have production dates - only best by dates. So maybe added to the question is signs when you're past date (coloring, texture, etc).

I'm wondering about compounds... I've had some for 2 years that still smell good (irish cream) and others that are rancid after a year (eggnog). I mostly use Sieben and Driedoppel and there's no expiration or best buy date on either brand.

I'm wondering about compounds... I've had some for 2 years that still smell good (irish cream) and others that are rancid after a year (eggnog). I mostly use Sieben and Driedoppel and there's no expiration or best buy date on either brand.

I keep mine in the fridge. Since it's hard to go through compounds quickly (a little goes a long way), I just occasionally do the smell/taste test. I've never had any go bad on me, but I did have my strawberry compound crystallize once.

In my experience, the Dutched process cocoa is much more stable and can be stored far longer than "natural" cocoa.

As long as it is stored in a tightly sealed container, at low humidity (I stick one of small silica gel packs on the underside of the lid in the containers I  use), and at less than 68 degrees F.,  it should keep for at least three years and I have used some that was older and had no problems with it. 

Most flour products now have a "Best if used by" date stamped on them.  As long as it is plain flour, with no additives, such as "self-rising" flour, you can stretch that date by 6 months or so.

Taste is a good indication, take a tiny bit on a spoon, dip a slightly dampened finger into it and taste.

If you can detect any hint of bitterness, it is past time to dump it. 

Whole meal flour has a much shorter storage life than all-purpose.  Cake flour, even more refined, will last longer. 

Again, these have to be stored in an airtight container (I always transfer any grain products to Cambro round containers) and away from any moisture, heat and light. 

I store whole wheat, multi-grain and similar products in a freezer.

Thanks, for the guidelines on flours and cocoa, andiesenji. The silica pack on the lid is a great idea. I do use restaurant containers like the Cambro, though I think mine may be a different brand, and they seal air tight, so the whole grain flours may be my major problem; I'll freeze them next time.

Random thoughts.

The Vahlrona in a ziplock would be better kept I think in two ziplocks or in a ziplock and in a tight can or something like that if it needs to be kept for an extended period of time. I don't think one ziplock has enough staying power, enough oomph to keep it nice.

I use beaucoups of plastic wrap on products I want to preserve. Like already made stuff. I double triple wrap stuff.

I once got a shipment of air brush color and it had a dang expiration date of a year from purchase. My friends' air brush colors never had a date on it. So I contacted the company as to why some & not others. They just replied that it depends on how it is stored etc. In shops where I've worked I've used the same air brush color for eons. So I still use this stuff too.

How about bread flour?

Bread flour should be good for a year from date of purchase, assuming it has not been sitting on a shelf or in a warehouse for a long time.

The bread flour I buy at Smart & Final has a rapid turnover (25-pound bags) and I just bought a bag that has a use-by date of 2/10/09, the bag of pastry flour, also 25-pound, has a use-by date of 4/05/09.

I ordered a bag of Odlum's Self-Rising flour a few months ago and it has a use by date of 06/04/08.

I assume that means April as the month and dates are "backwards" to our dating system.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

How about bread flour?

Bread flour should be good for a year from date of purchase, assuming it has not been sitting on a shelf or in a warehouse for a long time.

The bread flour I buy at Smart & Final has a rapid turnover (25-pound bags) and I just bought a bag that has a use-by date of 2/10/09, the bag of pastry flour, also 25-pound, has a use-by date of 4/05/09.

I ordered a bag of Odlum's Self-Rising flour a few months ago and it has a use by date of 06/04/08.

I assume that means April as the month and dates are "backwards" to our dating system.

Thanks. So does this mean that bread flour will not be good for much longer than the use-by-date?

How about nuts? Raw, shelled, unshelled, sliced and blanched, blanched? How long past the use-by date are they likely to hold up?

Depends on how you store them. In the freezer is always best.

If you're not sure if a nut is still good, just taste one. Then you'll know. :wink:

Okay, I did actually kind of ask this in a couple of other threads, and got no reply, but how about red palm nut oil? From what I've read, it apparently goes rancid pretty quickly, but then it should smell rancid, right? Mine doesn't smell rancid - it just looks a little weird, like it's semi-solidified and has little white specks in it. But then I think it kind of looked like that when I bought it. Which was over a year ago.

How about nuts? Raw, shelled, unshelled, sliced and blanched, blanched? How long past the use-by date are they likely to hold up?

the more surface area you expose, the faster the nuts will go rancid (so whole nuts last longer than sliced, etc.). also, once toasted, they break down even more quickly, so store them raw if possible. refrigerator or freezer is best.