• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New bill introduced to legalize Raw Milk

takadi

Congressman Ron Paul (who's also running for president) introduced H. R. 4077 on November 5th to legalize transportation of unpasteurized milk.

http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.4077:

To authorize the interstate traffic of unpasteurized milk and milk products in final package form for human consumption when the milk or milk product originates in a State that allows the sale of unpasteurized milk and milk products in final package form and is destined for another State that allows the sale of unpasteurized milk and milk products in final package form.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. INTERSTATE TRAFFIC OF UNPASTEURIZED MILK AND MILK PRODUCTS.

(a) Sale Authorized- Notwithstanding section 1240.61 of title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, the delivery into interstate traffic, or sale, other distribution, or holding for sale or other distribution after shipment in interstate traffic, of any unpasteurized milk or unpasteurized milk product in final package form for direct human consumption, or intended to be put into final package form for direct human consumption, is not prohibited if the unpasteurized milk or unpasteurized milk product--

(1) is produced in a State that allows the sale of unpasteurized milk and or unpasteurized milk products in final package form;

(2) is delivered into interstate traffic in that State; and

(3) is intended for transport to and sale in another State that allows the sale of unpasteurized milk and or unpasteurized milk products in final package form.

(b) Definitions- In this section:

(1) The term `pasteurized' refers to the process of heating milk and milk products to the applicable temperature specified in the tables contained in section 1240.61 of title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, and held continuously at or above that temperature for at least the corresponding specified time in such tables.

(2) The terms `milk', `milk products', and `interstate traffic' have the meanings given those terms in section 1240.3 of title 21, Code of Federal Regulations.

Also his speech on the house floor about the bill

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul422.html

Madame Speaker, I rise to introduce legislation that allows the transportation and sale in interstate commerce of unpasteurized milk and milk products, as long as the milk both originates from and is shipped to states that allow the sale of unpasteurized milk and milk products. This legislation removes an unconstitutional restraint on farmers who wish to sell unpasteurized milk and milk products, and people who wish to consume unpasteurized milk and milk products.

My office has heard from numerous people who would like to purchase unpasteurized milk. Many of these people have done their own research and come to the conclusion that unpasteurized milk is healthier than pasteurized milk. These Americans have the right to consume these products without having the federal government second-guess their judgment about what products best promote health. If there are legitimate concerns about the safety of unpasteurized milk, those concerns should be addressed at the state and local level.

I urge my colleagues to join me in promoting consumers’ rights, the original intent of the Constitution, and federalism by cosponsoring my legislation to allow the interstate sale of unpasteurized milk and milk products.

I personally feel pretty strongly about the health benefits of raw milk and feel like we are somehow being robbed of nutritional benefits with pasteurized milk. Although we did need pasteurization in the past, I feel it's the 21st century and milking procedures and techniques have greatly improved. I find it odd that unpasteurized milk has to be pushed to some pseudo-black market.

Congressman Ron Paul is pretty active in the small farms movement (I believe he cosponsored the "The Family Farm, Small Business and Home Tax Relief Act") so I encourage you all to look up some of his past work, it's pretty refreshing.

I haven't found out whether this bill has passed yet, so I have some more research to do.

Edited by takadi (log)

Once or twice a summer I drive down to Lancaster PA to stock up on salt and pepper (and other unique) sausage, pork (there are real Amish butchers with heritage pigs), and eggs taken from the nest that morning. Quarts of whiskey strong home made chicken broth.

This is the only place I know of where I can actually buy raw milk, and actually shake hands with the cow it came from.

I must admit to being a little bit leery of drinking it as is, but I love to use it in custards and other recipes where the milk is cooked. Ultra-fresh raw milk and same-day eggs can turn even a simple custard into a lavish feast.

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

actually shake hands with the cow it came from.

hahaha I love that

I've drinken regular milk all my life (hated it) until I put my lips around a glass of raw milk straight from the cow in France. The taste was so mind blowing and complex, I've pretty much been on a quest to find some in the US. No luck so far though, I live in a pretty suburban/urban area.

I also believe in farms were more local, there would be less mistrust of farming practices because there would be a stronger personal connection with your food, as you stated. You can actually shake hands with the source! :biggrin:

Anyone interested in learning about recent outbreaks of Campylobacteriosis in Kansas due to consumption of raw milk and cheese can go to http://www.promedmail.org

and type archive number 20071205.3922 into the "Quick Archive Search" box in the lower left part of the page. The outbreak report is followed by the CDC outbreak report, with references.

Interesting reference, but see also this

Pasteurized milk as a vehicle of infection in an outbreak of listeriosis.

edited to add: this link

Massive outbreak of antimicrobial-resistant salmonellosis traced to pasteurized milk

Two surveys to determine the number of persons who were actually affected yielded estimates of 168 791 and 197 581 persons, making this the largest outbreak of salmonellosis ever identified in the United States.

Certainly not to say that raw milk is safer than pasteurized ( I haven't looked carefully enough at the evidence ), but I found the number of examples of outbreaks coming from pasteurized milk pretty surprising.

Edited by Mallet (log)

Martin Mallet

<i>Poor but not starving student</i>

www.malletoyster.com

I agree there are some risks. That risk really comes with most foods, but I don't see any reason to outlaw it. Consumer reports such as these can warn people of potential dangers and possibly locate farms with bad sanitary practices.

I think warning labels should also be required for raw milk products if there were ever a chance that it was legalized.

I don't think the risks are any higher than eating raw eggs or fish, or as in recent cases, raw spinach. Heck, I've even eaten raw beef at some restaurants. I think it's a personal choice that comes with risks, but shouldn't be legislated.