• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Home Menu Ideas

Intellidepth

Let me qualify: my husband is a plain food fan (no chilli please), and I grew up on exotic everything. For 10 years I've been trying to breach the gap, but have veered towards keeping my husband eating at home instead of the local diner :biggrin: .

To add to the mix, I have a 3 year old son whose favourite foods consist of ham, mango, watermelon and chocolate. Did I mention ice-cream? He dislikes cheese and tomato.

Living in sub-tropical Australia we have an overall preference for fresher, distinctively, simply flavoured foods rather than stewed unrecognisable mush, although I'm happy to give anything a try.

Menu ideas anyone please?

MAINS

A bed of finely shredded iceberg lettuce, topped with finely chopped mangoes and red peppers (capsicum) with a squeeze of lime, followed by a layer of garlic pepper butter prawns.

Lemon thyme chicken, with sides of honeyed carrots, steamed beans and mixed rice.

Roasted sweet potato and bacon soup with cream and a hint of steeped rosemary.

Roasted sweet potato chunks, danish fetta, steamed green beans and toasted almonds. Maybe with roasted chicken?

Chicken pizza with bbq sauce, mozzarela/tasty cheese mix, thyme, red pepper (capsicum).

Shepherd's pie and mixed steamed vegetables.

Chicken thighs wrapped in bacon rashers, topped with swiss cheese, sprinkled with herbed dry breadcrumb stuffing mix and baked in a bath of white wine and condensed chicken soup. Served with mashed/baked potato, greens and carrot.

Chicken san choy bow. Haven't found a successful 'side' yet.

Quiche of any description. Frittata of any description.

White fish pan fried with shredded continental cucumber and condensed cream of celery soup, thickened. Sounds weird but tastes pretty good in a large vol-au-vent with a garden salad (minus the tomato) as a side.

Risotto cooked with butter and a hint of lemon juice, then chicken stock, followed by add-ins like shredded parmesan and any vege/meat combo I have available.