• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winter grilling (barbecue) favorites?

jason470

Hey everyone! So.. as the founding member of a University grilling society, I have been called upon to facilitate a winter "grilling and chilling event" for Winter Carnival. The event organizers have asked that we focus on "winter items" for the event. Now, is there anything that comes to mind when you think of grilling in the Winter? Beyond the idea of getting a fire pit for some s'mores; there is little you cook on the grill that I associate with Winter. I was hoping someone from the board might have some advice.

Our past events have included a gamut of "gourmet" (we are college students afterall) offerings. We pride ourselves on going beyond the box of traditional burgers and dogs at a tailgate event. For a Homecoming event we had: salmon, flank steak, chicken drumsticks, a whole chicken, brisket, pineapple spears, asparagus, banana, etc. all prepared on the grill and served around 500 people over a three hour span. Any ideas for this Winter event would be much appreciated!

Jason :biggrin:

Edited by jason470 (log)

Roasting a whole animal always has an impact on guests. My grandmother used to throw lavish parties on her "roof garden"(it was on a rooftop of their ice company) and on one occasion a whole cow was roasted and serve on that roof garden. A hip of beef would be a good compromise or a wild boar. One hotel I worked at precooked a hip of beef for at least 12 hours and put it on a spit the following day and carved outdoors.

Thin-skinned hard squash ("winter squash") like acorn and delicata grill up beautifully. Cut in half. seed, slice about 1/2" - 3/4" thick. Coat lightly with oil and grill until soft and somewhat caramelized.

I agree with a large hunk o' meat. Think of the stereotypical Winter Feasts of the past, and there's always a whole animal (or at least a significant chunk thereof) at the center....cooked over an open hearth. That's grilling in my book!

Grilled root vegetables? Peeled, sliced medium-thin, put in foil packets with seasonings?

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog