• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brussels Sprouts

Stewart H

Gross is this veg. My mother cooked them to death and to date at least a century or more later (according to my kids) I still can't stand the thought never mind the smell of them. Pure torture it was when I was a kid sitting at the table until at least midnight because we had to eat everything on our plate and we were not allowed to "get down" from the table until the plate was empty. Yuck Yuck Yuck. Ugh. Bleh. :biggrin:

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

My favorite way to eat brussel sprouts: Halve the sprouts, toss with olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in one layer in a baking dish in a 450 degree oven, stirring every 10 minutes until caramelized and almost tender (25-35 minutes.) Turn oven down to 350 and pour 1/2 inch of heavy cream over and bake 15-20 minutes, until cream reduces and browns. Spinkle top w/ fresh grated Parmesan cheese mixed with fresh bread crumbs and bake until top is golden (5-10 more minutes.) Yum! Sometimes I mix thick slices of Vidalia onion and cauliflower florets in with the sprouts. The caramelized veggies, cream and cheese flavors are fantastic.

Made these for dinner yesterday. Wow, really good !

The timing of this thread was most fortuitous! I have been itching to try Iron Chef Michael Symon's recipe (as posted on his blog, Symon Says) for Brussels Sprouts. As I documented more fully on my blog today, we lucked into on-the-stalk sprouts on Saturday at the local supermarket:

gallery_21337_5538_49965.jpg

gallery_21337_5538_82354.jpg

The recipe is as follows (cut and pasted from the above linked blog):

Brussels Sprouts

* 1# brussel sprouts quartered and blanched

* 1/4 # lg dice smoked bacon

* 1 clove garlic minced

* 1 shallot minced

* 1/2 cup pecans chopped

* 2 tbl grain mustard

* 4 oz chicken stock

* 1 lemon juiced

* 2 tbl butter

* 1 tbl chopped flatleaf parsley

heat half butter over medium heat and caramelize sprouts for 3 minutes and set aside..in separate pan crisp bacon for 3 minutes and add pecans, garlic and shallots and continue to cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Deglaze pan with stock and lemon juice and whisk in butter, mustard and parsley. Toss in cooked sprouts and serve.

Our monster yielded 3# of sprouts; fortunately, we had purchased a pound of bacon. I also added some salt & pepper to each phase of the recipe, as well as a ripe Jalapeno pepper (which wasn't really enough for 3#). We substituted onion for shallot, and curly parsley from the garden for flat. Here is how it came out:

gallery_21337_5538_12774.jpg

We served it with a beautiful Chili-Paste Rubbed leg of lamb:

gallery_21337_5538_115989.jpg

I have additional photos and story on my blog!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Once I discovered roasting them a few years ago, I can't wait until they come into season. So, I agree with the comments about roasting them with all sorts of combinations of ingredients - bacon, duck fat, onions, walnuts, pecans, etc.

Also, like to thinly shred them, saute them with whatever I have on hand (again, bacon, duck fat, olive oil), once they start to get a little soft throw in some cream and reduce slightly. Mix in with pasta and some good parm or whatever cheese you like. I'll often throw in some pine nuts to contribute to the nuttiness. A simple meal that always looks nice with the contrast of the pasta and the green from the sprouts.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

And now for something a little different...

1 LB sprouts, cleaned and cut in half.

1/2 cup water

1 T oil

2 T sesame seeds

3 T tamari

2 T sugar

Boil sprouts in water for 3-4 minutes. Drain. Heat oil and sesame seeds

until golden brown. Let cool a few minutes. Add all remaining ingredients,

and toss all with sprouts. Serve hot (or cold).

These are really, really good. As I was cutting up 2 lbs of sprouts for Christmas dinner I was wondering if I really needed that many, but they all got eaten, and I was sad I couldn't get seconds.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

• 11 months later...

I made this Brussel sprout salad recipe from Saveur for Thanksgiving and it was a huge hit--it was fantastic. It's raw, shaved sprouts, which I'd never done (I also don't have a mandoline, but a knife worked fine), with pecorino, toasted walnuts, and a lemon/olive oil dressing. Be sure its well seasoned with salt and pepper.

http://saveur.com/article/Food/Brussels-Sprouts-Salad

Edited by kiliki (log)

I made a version of a method suggeested up-thread for Thanksgiving. The original was bacon drippings as the fat, add cider vinegar and maple syrup and roast them in the oven. I used balsamic vinegar instead, and added parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes and shallots for more of a roasted winter veg dish. Awesome!

Just saw this thread for the first time...

We actually had Brussels Sprouts for lunch. Life without them...aarrrgghhh I cannot imagine.

My favorite dish is simply boiled Sprouts mixed with boiled sweet potatoes, topped with Olive oil and Lemon juice dressing complete with chopped garlic and sesame seeds. My DH always tops his with a curry sauce of some kind or other, usually with peanuts in it.

I once thanked my Mother for introducing me to Brussels Sprouts when I was young. She said...You never ate them in MY house. Poor Mother. :sad:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I like to tempura them, but be forewarned, you must cut them in half or quarters first or they will shoot like bullets out of the hot oil, in random directions. -No exaggeration here. The first time I tried this, I had company over for dinner. Let's just say that my guests witnessed one of the most exciting meal preparation events ever!

I also like to saute them (salted) in butter. When they are almost done, I add a little more butter and some diced red onion (and possible mushrooms) then cook til just transparent. Then, I deglaze the pan with a dash of water, and add a dollop of sour cream for a simple but tasty sauce. This makes a good meal when served over pasta.I use egg noodles.

I haven't tried this recipe, yet, but it sounds quite good.

Brussel Sprout and Camembert Gratin in Butternut Squash

Ingredients:

● 1 small butternut squash (approximately 550 grams)

● 210 grams brussel sprouts

● 30 grams butter

● 100 ml. cream

● 4 slim slices camembert cheese

● Sea salt

● Freshly cracked black pepper

● Freshly grated nutmeg

● Fresh marjoram (for garnish)

Directions:

- Melt butter in a saucepan, and then toss in brussel sprouts. Gently fry until sprouts have browned in spots.

- Add cream to the pan and season to taste with salt and pepper. Grate some nutmeg on top, stir, and cover for a couple of minutes. Once sprouts have softened a bit, remove from heat and set aside.

- Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out all the seeds and stringy parts.

- Place squash halves on a baking sheet. Fill the squash hollows with brussel sprout mixture, grate a little more nutmeg on top, and top with 1 slice camembert each. Wrap each squash in foil and place baking sheet in a 190C oven. Bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour, or until squash is soft.

- Once squash is soft, remove foil. The cheese would have melted into the sprouts at this point. Turn on the broiler. Place another slice of camembert on each squash half and place under the broiler until brown and bubbly.

- Garnish with marjoram leaves.

I LOVE these little buggers. Blanching, roasting, etc. all produce good results, but I'm too impatient and lazy. Here's what I do: clean and slice them into 1/4" slices. Sautée in butter (lots and lots) over medium high to high heat until they just start to get a little brown on them. Usually I just leave it at that, but for Thanksgiving this year, I fancied them up a bit.

First sautéed some hedgehog mushrooms that I found in the woods (chanterelles, criminis or even regular white button mushrooms would also work) and reserved them. Then into the pan went a lot of butter (for four cups-ish of unsliced sprouts) I used almost a stick of butter. Let the butter melt, and get good and hot (but not burning). This is in a cast iron skillet by the way. Then I dumped in the sprouts and sautéed them as above, until they picked up a good amount of color. Into the serving bowl & mixed with the hedgehogs. Then, and here's the key, I added about two tablespoons of white truffle oil. I have family who won't eat salad because it's green. They usually wouldn't go into the same room as a vegetable. My cousin who, as a child, was "allergic" to green food, took home the leftovers.

My favorite: cook brussels sprouts by any method. Mix a few T each of sugar and white vinegar to a bit of the cooking water (AFTER cooking) and heat. Mix sprouts and dressing with canned, drained mandarin oranges and toasted walnut pieces for a warm vegetable salad. Heat leftovers slightly, and I add walnuts individually to each serving if I'm the only one eating this--the walnuts will get soggy. Don't stir too much, as the oranges will break up.

Sorry I don't have amounts--lost the recipe so have to wing it.

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

When I was a kid, I despised brussels sprouts. In an effort to "grow up", I asked restorer how to make them. This is based on what he told me, and OMG do I love them now!

Preheat a skillet to med-high.

Trim outer leaves of brussels sprouts, and cut in half. Toss lightly with oil, salt and pepper.

Add some oil to the skillet, and get it nice and hot, then put all the sprouts in, cut side down. Pour in 1/4 cup water, and cover the skillet.

After about 5 minutes, the sprouts should be perfectly steamed, and beautifully carmelized on the bottoms. If there is still water in the pan (unlikely), boil it off now. Finish with some butter, and a chiffonade of fresh herbs (I like basil best). I often drizzle them with white-wine vinegar before serving too.

-anthony

how about separating all of the leaves and sauteeing them in a pan with some olive oil, butter, and s & p? 

Lidia Bastianich has a recipe in which she separates the leaves and then cooks them with oilve oil, garlic, sea or kosher salt, some red chile flakes and a little red wine vinegar. The results were quite good.

... Shel

Roasted with S&P, just like the infamous Egullet roasted cauliflower.

Why is the eGullet roasted cailiflower infamous? Or did you mean famous?

"Roasted Cauliflower, Tastes like French Fries" :wub:

Sixteen pages and counting...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH DIJON, WALNUTS & CRISP CRUMBS

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/recipes...llection=102750

MICHAEL SYMON'S HOLIDAY BRUSSELS SPROUTS

http://blog.cleveland.com/lifestyles/2007/...e_from_the.html

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Try this Nigella Lawson recipe - I made them last year and am doing them again this year. Yum.

Brussel Sprouts with Pancetta, Marsala, Chestnuts and Parsley

INGREDIENTS

• 10 cups/2 lbs. Brussels sprouts

• 8 oz. pancetta, rind removed, and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (to give 1 1/2 cups)

• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

• 1 1/2 cups/8 oz. vacuum packed chestnuts

• 2 tablespoon butter

• 1/4 Marsala

• 1 large bunch parsley, finely chopped to give about 1 cup

DIRECTIONS

Trim the bottoms off each of the brussel sprouts, cutting a cross into them as you go. Then tip them into a large pan of salted boiling water and cook until tender but still retaining a bit of bite, about 5 minutes or so depending on size. Spoon one out of the water to test (without burning your tongue and thus ruining the whole lunch for yourself) whether they are cooked to be sure.

Meanwhile, in a pan large enough to take everything later (or just drain the sprouts and use their pan, once you’ve drained them), cook the pancetta cubes in the oil, with the rind for more salty fat rendering, until they’re bronzed and crisp, but not cooked to the point of having dried out.

Add the butter and the chestnuts and, with a wooden spoon or spatula, press on the chestnuts to break them up a bit. When they’re warmed through, turn the heat up and throw in the Marsala, letting it bubble away, fusing with the pancetta fat and chestnutty butter to form a glorious savoury syrup. As the drained sprouts and turn well, sprinkling in half of the parsley as you do so. Give a good grinding of pepper; you shouldn’t need salt, given the pancetta, but obviously taste to see. Decant to a warmed serving plate and sprinkle over the remaining chopped parsley.

I fall into the group that hated brussel sprouts. Despised has also been used here and I would have to say my hatred was still greater. I was saved by the fact that I showed allergic reactions as a kid to raw cabbage (not cooked, an allergy that has since passed) so I got out of them. Since becoming an adult I've been committed to trying everything (almost) at least once but put off the dreaded brussel sprouts till about 7 years ago. I bought fresh on the stalk sprouts, tried them, and they immediately went back to the top of I'll never try that again foods.

Well, then I wound up getting involved with a woman who is now my strife, er I mean wife, and she happens to love brussel sprouts. So several years ago I decided to give them one last try. They were okay. I think because I cooked them different. Now I've actually come to really like them. There are some ways talked about here I have to try that sound delicious.

The way I cook brussel sprouts that made them good for me is to first trim the end, do the x thing to the bottom and then steam them for about 12 minutes. Then I slice them in half and sautee them in butter, with pecans and then a bit of bourbon and finish them with maple syrup. The French have mirepoix, Louisiana has the trinity, but to me butter, bourbon, and maple syrup is the triumvirate that works for brussel sprouts and much more.

Now it is off to find some brussel sprouts to have with our Xmas dinner.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

The way I cook brussel sprouts that made them good for me is to first trim the end, do the x thing to the bottom and then steam them for about 12 minutes.  Then I slice them in half and sautee them in butter, with pecans and then a bit of bourbon and finish them with maple syrup.  The French have mirepoix, Louisiana has the trinity, but to me butter, bourbon, and maple syrup is the triumvirate that works for brussel sprouts and much more.

Now it is off to find some brussel sprouts to have with our Xmas dinner.

That is too funny. :laugh: My husband gets through Brussels Sprouts by drowning them in a curried peanut sauce. Could be little soft golf balls underneath for all he knows.... :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

For one of my crazy multi-course Thanksgiving dinners, I used to do a full course of Brussels sprouts preparations. Here is "Brussels Sprouts Four Ways"

gallery_8505_0_69588.jpg

Clockwise from the upper right hand corner, there is: Sauteed with guanciale; gratineed with gruyere and bechamel; shaved raw and marinated in vinegar; and Brussels sprouts crème brûlée.

It was originally a whimsical "joke course" but proved to be very popular -- especially the Brussels sprouts crème brûlée.

--