• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strawberry vinegar

Anna N

I made this recipe a week or so ago. It was really delicious in a salad dressing. Now my question: the recipe gives it a shelf-life of only a week. With all that vinegar should it not last a much longer time? The recipe makes a huge amount and even though I halved it there is still loads of vinegar in my 'fridge. I would like to be able to use it but am somewhat anal about food safety due to health issues at home. Thanks for any enlightenment.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Maybe bring it to a quick boil....then keep it in the fridge ....

that would make a great deglazing liquide for a pan sauce

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Anna, I think the relatively short shelf life is probably due to loss of flavor rather than food safety. As you note, vinegar - even balsamic - is likely to provide pretty good protection against bacteria. I think what's most likely to happen is that the fruit will lose its bright flavor as the flavor elements start to break down, possibly in the first stages of fermentation.

I would leave it and keep checking, and figure I'll know when the flavor starts to fade... but then, if it does go off, I might be kicking myself for letting it go too long. The deglazing liquid idea above sounds like a good way to hedge your bets for some of the vinegar.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Anna, I think the relatively short shelf life is probably due to loss of flavor rather than food safety.  As you note, vinegar - even balsamic - is likely to provide pretty good protection against bacteria. 

. . .

Thank you! I am slapping my head - duh - you are probably right and my mind went on vacation as I asked this question!

Dontcha think though, it would be so helpful if recipes noted such things! I mean for people like me who have senior moments! :biggrin:

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I've made strawberry vinegar, and flavour-wise it lasted a long time (months, till it was used up) but quickly faded to an ugly tannish colour.

I tried a taste of mine last night and have to say that the lovely bright flavour has definitely faded already. It's not bad but nowhere near the intensity it was when first made. I am going to futz with the recipe to get it down to a much smaller quantity so I can enjoy it at its best.

My 2004 eG Blog