• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bu'n Soho - Vietnamese Small Plates

weinoo

So we stopped in this new Michael Huynh/Thao Nguyen (husband/wife) restaurant last night after a few cocktails a couple of blocks away and left feeling mighty impressed. Michael was the man behind Bao Noodles and Bao 111, as well as Mai House.

Nothing on the menu over $12 - everything we sampled was easily enough for the two of us, and with more food ordered, could be shared by 3 or 4 (I say 3, because that's how many delicious little lamb rib chops come, cooked as ordered) to an order - for $10. And you don't want to be fighting over them or their accompanying chutney.

We also sampled crispy duck rolls, spring rolls (I guess they could be called summer rolls), the tenderest cuttlefish I've ever had, head-on tiger shrimp, the better to suck the juices out of, sticky rice with funky lap cheong and pork cheeks that were luscious, sweet and devoured by me alone, as by that point my wife was full. Really smart, tasty food - leaning Vietnamese, but we'll need to head back for pho, sweetbreads, and and to try everything else on the rather extensive menu. 7 dishes, no booze - $57.

Hopefully opening for lunch, sometime after Thanksgiving, according to chef, who stopped by our table to make sure we liked everything. Evidently open late too, though far from packed when we walked out the door.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 4 months later...

or on the edge of SoHo anyway.

this received a fair amount of press when it opened a few months ago but not much since.

finally stopped in last night.

very casual atmosphere. tried two rolls: one a vegetable mix and one composed of pork belly and shrimp. both were quite good for what they were...although the shrimp could have been better. served with addictive spicy carrots.

scallops were overcooked but I loved the braised endive they rested on.

lamb "lollipops"...three small chops were good. nice "lamby" flavor.

hangar steak bu'n didn't feature very good meat. liked the noodles.

better wine list than you would think.

it's fine for the price point. plates ranged from $6-12.