• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My visit to Choco-story museum

Lior

Well I am usually over in the pastry forum but I figured this was the proper place to post my photos of the choco-story chocolate museum..

Here is the museum in Bruges, Belgium, which is a lovely place, and known as the Venezia of Belgium.

gallery_53591_4944_156142.jpg

This is an ancient metate, used for grinding roasted cacao beans into a paste, which was then made into a frothy often spicy drink for the royalty of the mesoamerican natives, such as the Maya and Aztecs.

gallery_53591_4944_48153.jpg

another metate, probably an ornament

gallery_53591_4944_35516.jpg

A statue of a Mayan woman grinding cacoa beans

gallery_53591_4944_15011.jpg

An ancient piggy bank holding cacao beans, a form of currency for the Maya

gallery_53591_4944_41105.jpg

A cocoa pot. Air blown through the pipe creates froth or foam in the cocoa

gallery_53591_4944_56413.jpg

stage 1 and 2 for making the drink

gallery_53591_4944_71639.jpg

stage 3:

gallery_53591_4944_15812.jpg

stage 4 and 5. A Belgium girl,Youlin, spent the day learning about the history of their nation's love for chocolate. Stage 4 consists of pouring the drink back and forth froma height to create more froth. Stage 5 consists of using a molinillo to create even more froth!

gallery_53591_4944_13727.jpg

Chocolate drink became very popular in Europe

gallery_53591_4944_22837.jpg

Her service for drinking chocolate

gallery_53591_4944_55090.jpg

more chocolate pots

gallery_53591_4944_76622.jpg

gallery_53591_4944_13937.jpg

gallery_53591_4944_33666.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!!

Thanks Lior, I enjoyed the report. I have a better understanding now of why chocolate pots are so popular on e-bay. I stumbled across them by accident - they come up with the molds frequently - and command some pretty high prices.

I was actually just there 2 weeks ago or so! Although honestly, my boyfriend and I didn't have the patience to read through all the historical information at the time... we kinda just skipped to the modern day chocolate making and the demonstration :raz:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Well if modern day chocolate making is what interests you, comeon over for a free demo and tasting!! I spent at least 2 hours there as I am fascinated by history-esp chocolate!! My site will be up soon and more pics. How funny that you were just there!!!! Isn't Bruges lovely?

We were there in June and enjoyed the city so much, and I really liked the museum. We have traveled in Central America, bought locally ground and formed disks for hot chocolate etc. It was all pulled together in that museum.....wordy yes, but well done.

They offer a "Chocolate Walk" in addition to the admission to the museum. For a few dollars more you get a nice booklet with a map and write-ups of the participating chocolate shops. You get a couple of coupons with each book which entitle you to "a taste", of the shop's choice . We were forced to walk all around the city, that's a good thing, discovering where the shops were and what their speciality was. One woman spent a lot of time with us, telling how her mother still makes the candies in her kitchen. She also looked through the booklet and told us what other shops were suitable. Said she didn't want us to get less than the BEST. This in a city where the poorest would probably be way better than we usually have. One shop, The Chocolate Line, offered a sniffing pipe and a powdered chocolate to sniff. We passed on it, but read later that it was a great experince.

There is a famous small square (Van Ekyk?) where a canal ends now. This was the entrance to the city for the boats loaded with cacoa nibs....great wealth on board. The square is surrounded by wonderful big houses, the local merchants wanted those arriving to know they would be dealing with people of substance.

Brugge, a city not to be missed!