• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I like my bananas less ripe than you like yours

Fat Guy

I'm with the not-quite-ripe camp. I used to think I hated bananas, but I really just hate yellow bananas with black spots. The smell is enough to make me want to barf, and the texture really will make me barf.

My distaste for ripe bananas comes, in part, from a childhood of sensitive stomach issues (I used to throw up a lot, so anything mushy that reminds me of vomit would immediately make me want to vomit--oatmeal and rice pudding, included).

Slightly underipe banana eaters - UNITE! I have been been abused by my husband for years about my love for slightly underripe bananas - I hate gushy bananas. I think it is mostly the texture but also the flavor. When they get to the ripe stage, they need to be sacrificed for some good banana bread. Unfortunately,my husband loves them as ripe as can be and gobbles them up like candy. We never get to have any banana bread. :sad:

Once you deep fry them in bacon fat the ripeness is really not a factor.

:wub:

Hallelujah! Pass the bacon fat and say "Amen", brother!

Although I've fried mine in butter to date, I feel the winds of change.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.