• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York's Vendy Awards

Miami Danny

I was supposed to fly up to NY for the 2007 Vendy Awards last weekend, but unfortunately I tore up my knee and couldn't leave Miami (Boo Hoo). I was wondering if anyone who attended could let me know how they liked the food, how they liked the setup (admission price, lines, venue, etc.). How did it compare to previous years, etc. Thank you.

I was supposed to fly up to NY for the 2007 Vendy Awards last weekend, but unfortunately I tore up my knee and couldn't leave Miami (Boo Hoo).  I was wondering if anyone who attended could let me know how they liked the food, how they liked the setup (admission price, lines, venue, etc.).  How did it compare to previous years, etc.  Thank you.

I didn't attend (either), but I do know that the "People's Choice Award" went to Muhammed Rahman of Kwik Meal. I also know that the Super Taco people had to leave early (supposedly because they ran out of food early), and so I don't think they won the judges' award...

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I both volunteered at and attended the Vendy's this year at Thompkins Square Park.

The Vendy's were sold out - the admission fee of $60 (much of which goes to support the Urban Justice/Street Vendor project) gets you all the food you can eat, as well as unlimited beverages.

After my couple of hour shift working the bar (okay, dispensing beer, wine and soda), I got a chance to sample the wares from three of the vendors. The Super Tacos truck had just closed up shop, unfortunately, but for a legitimate reason - they were heading up to 96th St. and Broadway to set up shop for the night and earn a living. And I didn't try the winning Dosa Man's fare, as the line was very long and I needed...meat...though I promise to make it over to Washington Square Park one of these days for a bite.

I had a tough time choosing my favorite - was it the assorted platter of chicken, falafel and schwarma over rice (white sauce and pickles included, of course), being dished up by King of Falafel and Shawarma, straight out of Astoria, or the fantastically tender lamb on pita from Kwik Meal (winner of the People's Choice award), which can be found weekdays at 45th St. & 6th Ave.?

Too close to call, and let's just say that I would (and will) happily eat either of these talented chef's fares any day of the week. A full roundup of the day's activities can be found here.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Thanks, Mitch. I guess the good thing about volunteering is it keeps you sober for a couple of hours (?). Although street-eating is still in its infancy in Miami, I've managed to unearth some great tacos, Filipino food, and, of course, ribs. There is also a legendary fried shrimp truck here. Of course, nothing on the scale of New York.

As far as the price of admission, the money goes to a good cause, which is defending and helping street-sellers on various issues. And it's a lot cheaper than your average celebrity-chef-fest!

How many people would you say attended this year?

Edited by Miami Danny (log)

I do believe it was sold out, so I'd say over the course of the day, 200 - 300 people must have attended.

And I really enjoyed the sodas I drank while working! They were supplied by GuS - the Grown Up Soda! Great flavors like Dry Meyer Lemon, Extra-Dry Ginger Ale and Star Ruby Red Grapefruit...not too sweet and just right with the vendor food.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

I didn't get to attend this year, so read this as peering-in-from-the-outside grousing.

NPR ran a very unfortunate fluff piece in which they marveled over the serving of oxtail. *slaps face*

Having eaten very regularly at both Super Tacos (and still do) and Kwik Meal (I work too far away now), I'm very glad both were finalists. Personally, I'm not as taken with the Dosa cart. Nothing against the Dosa Man, I wish him the best.

The one thing that irks me about the Super Tacos truck is that their new menu shows a spit, presumably representing their al pastor. At least compared to the al pastor tacos in California (haven't made it to Mexico), I'm really saddened by this because it seems pretty clear to me that they don't use a spit for their al pastor. I've tried peering into their truck on many occasions and if they have one it's not readily visible. I wish I knew enough Spanish to ask.

Regardless, I still happily eat there. The best way to enjoy it is to eat at the metal counter beside the truck.

• 11 months later...

The 4th Annual Vendy Awards, which is a fund raiser to support the Street Vendor Project of the Urban Justice Center (important stuff, imo), is coming up on Saturday, October 18th. This year, those vying for top street vendor cred, include:

Fauzia Abdur-Rahman from “Heavenly Delights” 161st St and Sheridan Ave, Bronx

Meru Sikder from “Biriyani Cart” 46th St & Sixth Ave, Manhattan

Mohammed Rahman from “Kwik Meal” 45th St & Sixth Ave, Manhattan

Rafael Soler from “Soler Dominican” Clinton St & Bay St, Brooklyn (weekends only)

The Vendley Brothers (Jesse, Brian, Dave) from “Calexico Carne Asada” Wooster & Prince St, Manhattan

Last year's awards were a lot of fun and good food, and I'm hoping this year's will be even better. For more info, check out their website here.

Tasty Travails - My Blog