• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe: Ma Po Tofu

rasamalaysia

You should also try Ah Leung's Mapo Tofu in his very informative recipe pictorial thread. That's where I first got to try out the recipe.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

You should also try Ah Leung's Mapo Tofu in his very informative recipe pictorial thread. That's where I first got to try out the recipe.

I will try it thanks. And thanks to the OP for hers as well. This is my hands down favorite Chinese dish and the one that got me eating tofu.

Hi there, my friend from Sichuan taught me how to make this dish. It's a fantastic recipe, something that you can't get from the Chinese restaurants in the US.

Do try out the recipe: http://www.rasamalaysia.com/2007/09/recipe-ma-po-tofu.html

That is almost verbatim how I make it. In fact, this thread got me so hungry I picked up some this morning for a dish one night.

I stopped using the whole fermented black beans though. I find the ready made paste just as satisfying and a little more useful to me in other things.

All - for your convenience, here is the recipe:

Recipe: Ma Po Tofu (麻婆豆腐)

Ingredients:

1 block silken tofu (19 oz box)

1/4 lb ground pork

3 tablespoons Sichuan spicy bean paste (辣豆瓣酱)

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 tablespoons cooking oil

3 tablespoons chili oil

1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns (roasted and ground to powder)

1 tablespoon light soy sauce

1 teaspoon fermented black beans (rinsed and pounded)

2 stalks of leeks or scallions (chopped into 1 or 2-inch length)

2 gloves garlic (chopped)

1/2 cup water

Salt to taste

Method:

Cut the tofu into small pieces, drain the water from the tofu and set aside. Heat up a wok and pour in the cooking oil and chili oil. Add the chopped garlic, ground pork, spicy bean paste and stir-fry until the pork is half-done. Then add in chili powder, soy sauce, fermented black beans and stir-fry until aromatic. Add in the tofu and water; stir gently to blend the tofu (don't break them) well with the sauce. Lower the heat and simmer for about 3-5 mins or until the sauce thickens. Add in the roasted Sichuan peppercorn powder and chopped scallions. Gently stir and blend well. Dish out and serve hot.

Asian food and cooking recipes: http://www.rasamalaysia.com