• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast in University City?

kretch

I was just asked where to go for a nice breakfast in UC, by someone who's going to be staying at the Inn at Penn, and whom I'm not going to send anywhere distant from campus (or for that matter, from the Inn at Penn) and I'm totally at a loss. White Dog isn't open for breakfast, neither is LT's, I don't think. Any choices other than the restaurant at the Inn at Penn itself? No food trucks, of course, even if that'd otherwise be best practice.

EDIT: How's that place in the building that used to house the Palladium? The Gold something? Never been inside. Proper sit-down, or just a cafe?

Edited by kretch (log)

"I've been served a parsley mojito. Shit happens." - philadining

I believe it's just a weekday, a conference or something similar at Wharton or the Law School. His day probably starts quite early, so I don't think sending him to R/X makes much sense. Thanks though.

"I've been served a parsley mojito. Shit happens." - philadining

The Gold Standard closed a couple of years ago -- the people who owned it moved on to open Abbraccio in West Philly.

What about Picnic, in the Left Bank at 31st and Walnut? It's just a little cafe but they're open for breakfast and I've liked the sandwiches I've had there. Or Metropolitan Bakery at 40th and Walnut, if bakeries are OK.

Rae just started serving breakfast -- that's a longer walk, but probably a nicer option.

And Penne, the restaurant at the Inn at Penn, is actually quite decent, if that ends up being the default.