• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

Bought a beef tongue before leaving for vacation and mixed up a batch of brine using Morton Tender Quick (6 cups of water and 1 1/2 cup of the TQ). Injected the brine in several places to insure the entire tongue is cured, then added peppercorns, bay leaves, brown mustard seeds and  a little cider vinegar. Put this in the downstairs fridge for a little over 2 weeks. Cooked for one hour in the instant pot and peeled. Covered with a dry rub of brown sugar, cumin, salt garlic powder and lots of ground pepper. Made a slightly different rub for some baby backs which I will smoke at the same time as the corned tongue. Currently smoking at 225 F with hickory. At the 4 hour mark, the ribs will come out, 1 for dinner, the other for a gift and exchange for fresh eggs from Deb's BIL. At that  time I will evaluate the tongue.

HC

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG

HungryChris

HungryChris

Bought a beef tongue before leaving for vacation and mixed up a batch of brine using Morton Tender Quick (6 cups of water and 1 1/2 cup of the TQ). Injected the brine in several places to insure the entire tongue is cured, then added peppercorns, bay leaves, brown mustard seeds and  a little cider vinegar. Put this in the downstairs fridge for a little over 2 weeks. Cooked for one hour in the instant pot and peeled. Covered with a dry rub of brown sugar, cumin, salt garlic powder and lots of ground pepper. Made a slightly different rub for some baby backs which I will smoke at the same time as the corned tongue. Currently smoking at 225 F with hickory. At that the 4 hour mark, the ribs will come out, 1 for dinner, the other for a gift and exchange for fresh eggs from Deb's BIL. At that  time I will evaluate the tongue.

HC

IMG_0460.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0479.JPG