• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caul fat from Fallow deer

Henry dV

As it says above, I`ve never tried using caul fat, but the buck I shot last night was well endowed with both caul and bodily fat and I`d like to give it a whirl but would prefer to use it for something other than faggots.

All replies greatfully received :biggrin:

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

I have to say that "fallow deer" is one of the most exotic ingredients I've seen referenced here, but caul fat in general is really useful. How about using it to line a terrine pan and making a venison terrine from bits of that deer?

I never thought of that and I do have a LOT of liver at my disposal too, I think a few juniper berries and sage will go well with that.

Many thanks !

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Abra, I tried the terrine and it was very nice, however I was a little over zealous with the caul fat on the top of the terrine, I initially thought it would help keep it moist, which it did but it was too much and needed trimming pre serving.

Before cooking.........

gallery_52392_5169_25472.jpg

....and after.

gallery_52392_5169_44541.jpg

Again many thanks, I have tried it on meatballs and it was good, but again it needs to be well trimmed as the thicker fat detracts from the soft meat inside.

I shall be better prepared next time !

maybe next time you could try venison chops with chicken mousse and tarragon wrapped in the caul and sealed in a pan then into the oven for a few minutes a la Jean-Christophe Novelli's signature lamb chop dish??

Edited by insomniac (log)

Cheers Insomniac, that sounds good especially as I have these :biggrin:

gallery_52392_5193_51790.jpg

I have the tarragon in the garden so all I need is to sort the chicken for the mousse. You`ve gotta love this site for the broad base of knowledge and the different ideas that turn up.

Many thanks :wink:

I just did a little searching and found a J-C Novelli recipe for pigs trotters stuffed with chicken mousse and black pudding and that is really tickling the taste buds, but obviously with the venison chops rather than the trotters in this instance.

Once again my thanks are due.

Gosh Insomniac, it looks like Henry dV has a glut of venison there. He should send some down our way don't you think? :biggrin:

The Novelli recipe sounds like pig heaven which gets me to thinking as you are using all venison whether anyone has tried making or even eating black pudding made from venison blood? What do you think Henry dV, could be worth experimenting with your next kill...

Gosh Insomniac, it looks like Henry dV has a glut of venison there.  He should send some down our way don't you think?  :biggrin:

The Novelli recipe sounds like pig heaven which gets me to thinking as you are using all venison whether anyone has tried making or even eating black pudding made from venison blood?  What do you think Henry dV, could be worth experimenting with your next kill...

How would you like it sent, 1st or 2nd class ?? :laugh:

The problem with field shot Deer and, for that matter, Hare (as this IMHO would make superb black pud) is the possibility of contamination of stomach contents from either a carless gralloch or a shot off target or one that is deflected by bone.

I have given this some thought, believe me, and given the right animal and shot I will be able to do it and this forum will be the first to know, I have skins on standby :biggrin:

Edited by Henry dV (log)