• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A little trip to Italy

Chufi

And all the time you have to watch that the little old ladies that look fragile enough don´t cut ruthlessly in front of you..

Yesss! What is it with cutting in line in Italy?! And it's so blatant! We've literally been elbowed aside so someone can wedge themselves into a perfectly orderly line. What's the protocol there? Can you call them on it?

Anyways, what fantastic pictures and what gracious hosts Judith and Jeff are. Beautiful food and sites as always. Thank you for sharing.

And all the time you have to watch that the little old ladies that look fragile enough don´t cut ruthlessly in front of you..

Yesss! What is it with cutting in line in Italy?! And it's so blatant! We've literally been elbowed aside so someone can wedge themselves into a perfectly orderly line. What's the protocol there? Can you call them on it?

of course you can, but how's your italian? i suppose you can just tap them on the shoulder and point them to the back of the line, i've seen it done hundreds of times here.

My neighbor Rosanna makes the best potato gnocchi I have ever tasted. She says the secret is just potato, 00-flour and olive oil, S&P. No eggs, she says eggs make them hard.

On the unorthodox side are gnocchi Parisienne which we made at venue and were very very popular. We did them in a roasted red pepper cream sauce, when finished in the oven they puff up and get very large and light as air.

Interesting...Woman also uses 00-flour (200g per kilo of potato) and no egg, but no olive oil either - now that the secret is out we'll try this one. The parisienne sounds like fun too.

• 2 weeks later...

of course you can, but how's your italian? i suppose you can just tap them on the shoulder and point them to the back of the line, i've seen it done hundreds of times here.

mmm, you go first. no way am i touching a nonna i don't know.

the protocol is: suffer silently and imagine their karma balance dropping or become a line-cutter yourself....

+++

• 2 months later...

Great thread. I'm returning to Umbria in late August for the first time since '99 (I think - it was the year the church in Arezzo reopened after the '97 earthquake - we followed the Church bigwigs by only a couple of days, but the city was still a mess). I'll be lurking here for ideas till then.