• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

specialty refrigerators

mrbigjas

1. when i was in spain a couple years ago, i noticed these great refrigerators--they were basically taller and narrower than most american refrigerators. just right for someone like me who lives in a house that's about 1000 sq. ft. and i said, someday when i replace my fridge, i'm getting something like that. so i'm not really in a fridge replacing mode, but i'm in the early stages of kitchen planning, so i'm googling around for something like that and come up with this:

http://www.conservrefrigerators.com/conserv.html

which is shaped like that (only 24" wide, but nearly 7 ft tall), and is also supposed to be super energy efficient and all. any of you seen these?

2. several years ago here on eg, i remember a fridge thread where people were discussing these fancy schmancy fridges that look like cabinets, including having glass doors and nice latches and everything. but the key thing i remember about them was that the compressor is a separate unit that you can mount outside your house like a central air conditioner or something--again, an interesting option for a small house, when it comes to noise and heat issues.

anyway, all my googling on eg isn't turning up that thread, nor is it turning up a website. i must be losing it, because it wouldn't seem that this would be that hard to find.

anyone know anything about these, or similar things?

Liebherr makes completely enclosable refrigerators that look exactly like your cabinets when installed. I have a couple, and they're pretty normal in Germany. Here they're some kind of fancy specialty item and cost about three times the going rate in Germany (not to mention you get a tiny fraction of the configurations).

(Side note: My appliance repair guy says they have a new type of variable-capacity condenser and shouldn't be affected by the difference in power frequency, so if you can provide them with 240v, it might be interesting to try it out. I didn't have the benefit of his advice at the time I bought and ended up going with the expensive local sources.)

They also make them freestanding if you prefer, and they're tall and narrow. Thermador has a new range of tall and narrow units, but the repair guy didn't seem too impressed. Also, they cost even more than the Liebherrs.

so i'm googling around for something like that and come up with this:

http://www.conservrefrigerators.com/conserv.html

which is shaped like that (only 24" wide, but nearly 7 ft tall), and is also supposed to be super energy efficient and all.  any of you seen these?

Did you check out the capacity of that refrigerator? 7.1 cool, 3.4 freeze, 10.5 total :shock: . No way I'd be able to survive with that. I just upgraded my 18 cu ft to 26.1 because I was always hurting for frige space.

hm, good point. i wonder what the capacity of mine is.

but it's OK, it's always half empty anyway. and having even less space would be good. more frequent shopping. maybe a separate drink fridge for beer and wine.

i still think it's neat.