• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe for double boiled egg white and milk?

currypuff

I'm looking for a recipe for the chinese dessert known as double boiled egg white and milk (with ginger juice).

Has anyone tried making this at home? Apparently it should be steamed.

Also, how do I get the ginger juice out of the ginger? Sorry that may seem like an elementary question... :blink:

I've never heard of this dessert, but I can (somewhat) address your final question.

I have a ceramic ginger grater. (Do a search on the Williams-Sonoma website if you haven't seen them.) I have noticed that after I use it to grate ginger, there's quite a bit of juice in it. If you only need a teaspoon or so, this would be an effective way to get it. If you need quite a bit more... well, you're going to be grating a lot of ginger for a long time!

Will watch this thread with interest. This dessert sounds interesting!

Hmm.....I haven't heard of just using egg whites either. Here's a sweet chinese custard recipe. The pandan flavour is more for the recipe as it is. If you add ginger juice (as much as you like...and we like a lot!), you can omit the leaves; the ginger flavour will overpower the pandan flavour anyway. It's supposed to be yon...soothing for the system. This silky smooth dessert is perfect for a rainy night. HTH!

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I have a cookbook by amy beh so hopefully that's a good recipe to work off of. I guess I will grate the ginger with my microplane. It sure takes a loooong time to grate ginger though!

I remember this one time I tried to squeeze celery juice out of celery. You never saw a person work so hard! *hahaha*

Thanks for the help guys...