• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wynnewood Water Ice: "Just Chill"

phungi

Stopped by Just Chill yesterday with the kids after camp, on Manoa off Haverford (Near City Ave and Haverford) and was pleasantly surprised. Prices were cheaper and the water ice had more flavor than Rita's. Mango was excellent, the chocolate had chips, and the cherry was really good. Talked to the owner, and all is made in-house. Plus, it is indoor with seating, which is always nice on a 95-degree day.

They opened only a week ago, so stop in if you get a chance. Living in Wynnewood we only had Rita's on Eagle Road or City Ave, so this is a great addition to the area.

(No affiliation with the store of relationship with the owners)

I belch, therefore, I ate...

• 2 weeks later...

Just posted in another Water Ice thread about a new discovery in West Philly: Accu Pizza at 48th and Spruce. Very tasty and cheap - will be returning for more soon.

Edit: corrected URL.

Edited by DCP (log)

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Stopped by Just Chill yesterday with the kids after camp, on Manoa off Haverford (Near City Ave and Haverford) and was pleasantly surprised.  Prices were cheaper and the water ice had more flavor than Rita's.  Mango was excellent, the chocolate had chips, and the cherry was really good.  Talked to the owner, and all is made in-house.  Plus, it is indoor with seating, which is always nice on a 95-degree day.

They opened only a week ago, so stop in if you get a chance.  Living in Wynnewood we only had Rita's on Eagle Road or City Ave, so this is a great addition to the area.

Hmm, I missed this post the first time it appeared, but I do sometimes drive right past there. I'll check them out next time I do... Excellent!

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

I stopped by Just Chill on my way home this afternoon and ordered a large ($2.50, a good price) with three flavors.

Lemon was the best of the bunch; a little sweeter than my ideal, but good flavor. Mango was also very good, a cut above Rita's. Black cherry was okay. I've still never had a cherry water ice that was really great, but this was a cut above average.

Overall, I liked Just Chill. It didn't blow me away, but it's solidly above-average, and if I lived in the neighborhood, I'd be there all summer.

Black cherry and lemon on my first visit. The former wasn't sticky sweet like most red ice, maybe because it was purple And the other wasn't quite as tart or zesty as I'd have liked, but mighty good just the same.

And, unless there's someplace in Ardmore I don't know, it's the closest to home for me. I'll be back.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.