• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orange County Barbecue

Swicks

To some it may sound like an oxymoron, SoCal and good 'cue....

After reading the thread in the NY forum about the Big Apple BBQ I decided I wanted to attempt to try out some of OC's 'cue offerings again.

One must take into account that the 'cue in Orange County really can't compare to the real thing but that is not the goal here, its more to emphasize the good local options as plane tickets to Texas and the South are quite expensive.

Here are some recent thoughts, please add your own.

Beach Pit BBQ-Costa Mesa - This is a natural for me personally as it is very close to where I live. I have eaten here on several occasions and find their 'cue to be some of the best around. Owner Tim DeCinces (Son of baseball player Doug) has traveled all over the south in order to better understand what makes good 'cue and has attempted to bring the south to OC. Their strengths are the pulled pork and brisket. Both are very good. Sides here are excellent as well, beans and blueberry cornbread being notable. While I don't use much of it their spicy sauce is excellent.

Burrell's-Santa Ana - Fred's Burrell's shack in a residential neighborhood in Santa Ana has lots of charm, and great 'cue. Great ribs here as well as pulled pork. Burrell's has a huge menu of southern classics. Tough to find but worth the effort.

Bad to the Bone-San Juan Capistrano - I had read much about how good the 'cue was here but when I went last week I was severely disappointed. I had pulled pork and brisket. Pulled pork was ok, but doused in way too much mediocre sauce. Brisket was absolutely awful Perhaps I got a bad batch but what I got was not sliced brisket but small chucks of what tasted like chopped overcooked steak covered in weak sauce. I will return for another shot but this was very disappointing. Sides of coleslaw and beans were quite good though.

Clayton Shurley's-various locations - Terrible chain of so called "real texas BBQ". Don't even bother, its the Pick up Stix of BBQ. But unlike Stix this unfortunately is not good once and a while.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I agree with you on Clayton Shurley's. What a horrible mess. At least that was our experience on our first and final visit. I was wildly underwhelmed by the food, decor, and "service". We're a stone's throw from Beach Pit. I really feel they did a nice job in making a comfortable, family environment, even if the restaurant is basically on a residential street. I'm sure the opening was worthy of groans from direct neighbors. The food is decent. I'd say B+. Not fantastic or groundbreaking, but the whole experience is pleasant and the environment is clean and cute. I can't really comment on those other ones because We haven't tried them.

Sadly, I never really consider bbq as a major dining option for us. I fugure we'll just stick with what's best in this area, which means a lot of Mexican food to be sure.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Not in OC but still in Southern CA. It if your ever in Rancho Cucamonga the Red Hill Barbecue on Foothill is to honest smoked meats done in the outside smoker. You can find this place with your nose. Their ribs are my hands down favorite. Get it take out and then get ready for an incredible treat.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I thought half of Southern California had relatives in the Kansas City area.

Can't you all just ask your friends to bring some back with them when they go "back East" to visit? :wink:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I thought half of Southern California had relatives in the Kansas City area.

Can't you all just ask your friends to bring some back with them when they go "back East" to visit?  :wink:

I'm sure I'm not the only transplant from KC. :laugh:

Guess I should out myself as the outlier in my own family, as everyone else who has migrated out of Kansas City lives on the Left Coast -- a great-aunt in View Park, LA, a cousin in Oakland and a brother in Seattle.

I don't think any of them have plans to return to the Heart of America soon, so you can't borrow them for your BBQ run, sorry. :laugh:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3