• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London Lennie's in Queens

Brad S

Have any of you dined at London Lennie's in Queens?

How was the food?

Was the service professinal and knowelagable?

Would you go again? and why.

Also , if you would not return why?

TIA

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

I've been at least two dozen times but not in the last 3-4 years. I think the place is okay. It is a typical, out of Manhattan, classic fish house that offers everything from steamed lobsters, fish and chips, linguine with seafood in a marinara sauce and a large selection of good fish that they will prepare anyway you want. It's a large place and there is usually a line waiting to get in, especially on the weekends. We used to stop there on our way home from the Hamptons but my kids didn't like the place. But if you told me we were having dinner there tonight I wouldn't object. Why do you ask?

I got a lead today there looking for an Executive Chef and the manager wants to talk to me.

I'm not familar with the restaurant and was hoping to get some honest unbiased feedback before I decide to contact the place.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

We've been going here for 25 years. They have a very nice way with simple preparations of fresh fish. My husband loves the cioppino. There are a few dishes on the menu that are more elaborate than simply broiled, fried or sauteed, but I've never had any of them. This is not Le Bernardin.

The service is professional, but casual, in a glorified hash-house kind of way.

Don't misunderstand. I'm also happy to go to London Lennie's. It would best be improved, in my opinion, by offering good bread.

I haven't been there in over a year, but I'd go back for the simply-prepared, fresh seafood.

I remember when Lennie opened his fish store, about 45 years ago. It was on the same block as now, but only 1 storefront wide. About 12 feet? Besides fresh seafood, he also did some cooked take-out. I used to stop and get a brown-paper bag of chips. Krinkle cut, I think.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

All luck, CC.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

The food is decent. Italian style underneath the fish house cuisine. Service is alright. Not great, not terrible. If I lived in that nabe I would eat there. It's not near a subway....making it less likely I'll eat there. I do head that way for Don Juan and Pio Pio though. *shrug*

When you go to check it out....get an empanada at Don Juan's empanadas, a teeny place a block or two down Woodhaven from london lenny's. They are doublesized baked (chilean) empanadas. I particularly like their chicken empanada. Their hotsauce si good too. Recent word is that they actual meals are good now, but I haven't checked it out.

good luck w/the job. :)

-Jason