• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flank Steak

Norman Walsh

I have came across to Ontario from the UK to visit my daughter and one day she cooked flank steak which was very good.

I have never came across this cut of meat at home and would like to know what part of the animal it comes from, also if it's named flank steak in the UK.

Yesterday in Toronto I went to the European butchers shop in Baldwin street off Spadina avenue and I was amazed at the variety of meats and sausages.

This is the biggest butchers shop I have ever seen and it was as packed as a football stadium.

Also the kitchenware store which I believe was named Tai Phong which I had read about on the EG forums had a most incredible range of goods at reasonable prices.

Toronto is a great city and I have really enjoyed my visit.

Now back to my original query regarding the flank steak I would appreciate any answers.

Thanks

Norman

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I have came across to Ontario from the UK to visit my daughter and one day she cooked flank steak which was very good.

I have never came across this cut of meat at home and would like to know what part of the animal it comes from, also  if it's named flank steak in the UK.

Yesterday in Toronto I went to the European butchers shop in Baldwin street off Spadina avenue and I was amazed at the variety of meats and sausages.

This is the biggest butchers shop I have ever seen and it was as packed as a football stadium.

Also the kitchenware store which I believe was named Tai Phong which I had read about on the EG forums had a most incredible range of goods at reasonable prices.

Toronto is a great city and I have really enjoyed my visit.

Now back to my original query regarding the flank steak I would appreciate any answers.

Thanks

Norman

My butcher told me recently that flank steak is the part of the horse you would kick with your heels if you were riding. (Except that it comes from a cow, of course.) He said our skirt steak is entirely different and is actually from the diaphragm.

Skirt, flank, and hangar steak have always gone into ground beef , in small town Ontario abatoirs The butchers were trained by U.K emigres, so you might expect the same over 'ome, including thin cut steaks and chops. Fortunately, times change.