• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is "angel hair cabbage"?

mrsadm

I have a recipe that calls for this type of cabbage. My grocery store has green, red, savoy cabbage in the produce section. Is this stuff frozen or dried or what? Thanks

Oh by the way, the recipe is for mu shu pork.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Dole explains it as delicate tender cabbage. Y'know how some cabbage is pretty hefty. This must be a special variety that is fine and un-hefty. The Dole website shows it packaged already sliced in a bag. I mean I've never heard of it before either.

i also think this is a reference to a Dole product--presliced, very thin strands of regular cabbage. i've seen it packaged at the produce section. always thought it would make some pretty soggy coleslaw...but maybe for stirfry? what's the recipe for?

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I made the mu shu pork with regular ol' green cabbage sliced on my mandoline and it came out just fine. Thanks for the info!

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

i also think this is a reference to a Dole product--presliced, very thin strands of regular cabbage. i've seen it packaged at the produce section. always thought it would make some pretty soggy coleslaw...but maybe for stirfry? what's the recipe for?

I got the impression it was different from regular cabbage but I could be wrong. Maybe it's baby cabbage or some certain variety? Super fine sliced regular cabbage is not delicate, not mine anyway. It doesn't get soggy even when you cook it. This has been my experience.

I cut it this way for a soup I make and it makes the cabbage become like 'noodles' and I fry it sliced super thin and stuff like that. It's very hearty tough stuff. Nothing delicate about it till you cook the bejesus out of it y'know?

I make an easy, quick and delicious mu shu and I buy the Dole coleslaw mix in the bag. Much easier than hauling out my food processor (it stays in the box in the closet) and shredding it myself.