• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mrs. Beetson Makes It to TV

Pontormo

Just a quick heads-up: The Secret Life of Mrs. Beetson

Unfortunately, sensationalism and sex dominate this kind of show these days--historical material just isn't juicy otherwise.

However, anyone interested in the history of cookbooks should TiVo or watch. The Web site has some interesting background information, including a link to a Web site where you are able to read one of the early editions of the Beetson household manual.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I watched most of the TV program, which I thought was pretty good.

If any of you would like to read Mrs. Beeton's book online, it's available in full at http://www.mrsbeeton.com/.

Mrs. Beeton seems to have been a very important figure in the history of cookbook writing (excerpt from the aforementioned URL):

The book (usually referred to as Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management) was essentially a guide to running a Victorian era household. It contained advice on fashion, child-care, animal husbandry, poisons, the management of servants, science, religion, industrialism and a very large number of recipes (it is often called Mrs Beeton's Cookbook). Of the 1,112 pages over 900 contained recipes. Most of the recipes were illustrated with coloured engravings and it was the first book to show recipes in a format that is still used today.

The format? First, a complete list of ingredients. Then, the mode, time, and average cost of ingredients.

Michael aka "Pan"

Sorry I missed it.

In the early 90's I wrote Martha Stewart magazine saying that they should do an article on Beeton because she was the Martha Stewart of her day.

They never did, I guess Martha wanted to be seen as "THE ORIGINAL".