• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco: Fine Wine Merchant

Craig Camp

Linda, a Wine Camp Blog reader, recently sent me this email about “corky” wines and Costco:

“Hi Craig. I read your interesting article about corky wine on the web and I hope you will give me some advice. I recently purchased a bottle of Cavit Pinot Grigio at Costco which turned out to be corky. When I returned it to Costco here in Georgia (I had my receipt), the manager said that he would let me do a “one-time courtesy return” and made a notation on my account. Here in Georgia we can return a bad bottle but only in exchange for the same brand, and that rule is fine by me. He said that they store the wines properly and that there was cork in the bottle and that was why it was corky, implying that I had not opened the bottle properly. I have had over 30 years as a flight attendant working in first class and am quite accustomed to opening a bottle of wine as well as recognizing a musty, corky odor. I am quit aggravated with his “one-time courtesy return” and would ask your advice on how to return a bottle should this happen again. ”

What should Linda do?

I would write a letter to the corporate office. They have well-known and well-established wine buyers within the company who obviously need to train their management better.

Somewhat the usual answer when middle-management doesn't solve the problem: take it up the ladder a step or two.

He said that they store the wines properly and that there was cork in the bottle and that was why it was corky, implying that I had not opened the bottle properly. 

Also, I've always had the understanding that simply getting a bit of cork in your wine will not make it "corked" - that's a whole different process going on? (isn't it? someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I agree with Carolyn - I'd write a letter. And, if you do, let us know what happens.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

He said that they store the wines properly and that there was cork in the bottle and that was why it was corky, implying that I had not opened the bottle properly. 

Also, I've always had the understanding that simply getting a bit of cork in your wine will not make it "corked" - that's a whole different process going on? (isn't it? someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I agree with Carolyn - I'd write a letter. And, if you do, let us know what happens.

You are correct, a piece of cork in your wine will not make a wine corked. After all the wine is in contact with the cork the whole time anyway. A "corked" wine is contaminated with TCA. While there are other sources of TCA contamination, the cork is the most commen one. Heres a link for a little more info.

http://www.winepros.org/wine101/vincyc-tca.htm

Nate

Perhaps she should print out or xerox one of the many, many article about wine that point out that a modest percentage of even properly produced and stored wine is corked (accompanied by nhconnor's link), educating the manager and making her point. She might also see if there is a wine division within Costco (or if the department managers are simply assigned there, as the would be to housewares or shoes) and pass the word.

(she should also stop buying cheap Pinot Grigio, but that's another thread) :wink:

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Costco's return policy is supposed to be, "We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD/MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund."

I've returned many, many items to Costco and never encountered the least bit of resistance. I've even been in situations where I got some bad lettuce or whatever, but didn't go back for two or three weeks, and just said, "This lettuce was bad," pointed to it on the receipt, and received a refund.

It may be that Costco is experiencing problems with people buying wine, drinking it, and then trying to get refunds. If so, they should have some sort of separate wine policy printed up.

To be clear, at every normal Costco I've been to, when you return something you don't deal with anybody in the relevant department (not that there are people in the relevant departments at most Costcos). You go to a customer service desk that represents the whole warehouse. (One exception would be New York, where because of the regulations Costco doesn't have wine, but rather has a wine shop attached to most Costcos.)

It sounds like whomever this person dealt with was just being dumb. So yes, I'd take the issue up the ladder, though it's probably not worth much of an investment of time.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'd say what Linda should do depends on how much wine she buys or plans to buy at Costco. If she plans to continue, then she should notify someone higher in the food chain. I'd first start, though, with another run at the manager she dealt with. Give him correct information about corked wines, that sort of thing. Ask him to do his own research if he doesn't believe her. Then, if he still chooses to be pompous and ignorant, she can take it to someone else.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Craig, I think the advice in this thread, and Fat Guy's succinct diagnosis (someone was just being dumb) are excellent.

If you encounter a dealer who does not know about TCA spoilage of wines ("cork fault" -- known in the trade for centuries apparently, even before the chemistry was understood), refer them to any of these:

Any modern wine encyclopedia

Court of Master Sommeliers

Institute of Masters of Wine

The Wine Institute (US)

Most anyone with career in the wine business

Costco's return policy is supposed to be, "We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD/MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund."

I've returned many, many items to Costco and never encountered the least bit of resistance. I've even been in situations where I got some bad lettuce or whatever, but didn't go back for two or three weeks, and just said, "This lettuce was bad," pointed to it on the receipt, and received a refund.

It may be that Costco is experiencing problems with people buying wine, drinking it, and then trying to get refunds. If so, they should have some sort of separate wine policy printed up.

GA has rather antiquated policies regarding alcohol returns, so the policy could be an accommodation of those rules that was just explained poorly.