• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Left pie out overnight

ChocoChris

Hi All,

Someone asked me if it is ok to eat a slice of lemon meringue pie that they left out overnight and I was not sure so I thought I'd ask the experts :biggrin:

The pie consists of an Italian meringue and lemon curd in a pastry crust. I put it together yesterday (Sunday) morning. The curd was made on Saturday and the meringue was made yesterday. I'm sure that you can't eat it but thought I'd ask as there is no cream component in it. What else would spoil overnight?

Thanks,

Chris

It's fine...go ahead and eat it.

Boiling sugar syrup added to the egg whites will render it stable and the rest is fine.

I have never fridged a pie in my life and we aren't dead, never even been sick.

Go ahead and eat it. Trust me. I'm an eGullet member.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Go ahead and eat it.  Trust me.  I'm an eGullet member.

:laugh:

I'd eat it too. I don't worry too much about pies like that. Fruit pies either. All the components are cooked/baked and overnight shouldn't be a problem. What do you think people did before they had refrigerators?! I guess they just threw away all their leftovers... :blink:

Go ahead and eat it.  Trust me.  I'm an eGullet member.

:laugh:

I'd eat it too. I don't worry too much about pies like that. Fruit pies either. All the components are cooked/baked and overnight shouldn't be a problem. What do you think people did before they had refrigerators?! I guess they just threw away all their leftovers... :blink:

...or just ate them all??! :blink::raz:

Thanks for your advice!

Funny, the current issue of Cook's Illustrated-- which arrived at my house a day or two ago-- raises this same question. I don't have it at hand, but their response was that cooked fruit pies have enough acid to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. They specifically mentioned pies such as berry or apple, but I'd imagine the same would be true of lemon pie.

They do recommend refrigerating cream pies, though.

Ever heard of a pie safe? Piece of "furniture" that people used to keep their pies and other foods in before refrigeration. I believe the "safe" refers to keeping away flies, bugs and critters, however.

Last summer I went to a small reunion where lemon meringue pies sat out on a kitchen counter for at least 4 days. They were pretty sad after all that time, but no one got sick from eating them.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Funny, the current issue of Cook's Illustrated-- which arrived at my house a day or two ago-- raises this same question.  I don't have it at hand, but their response was that cooked fruit pies have enough acid to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria.  They specifically mentioned pies such as berry or apple, but I'd imagine the same would be true of lemon pie.

They do recommend refrigerating cream pies, though.

Thanks for that reference. I will have to find my copy and read it more thoroughly. :rolleyes:

This is all very interesting info. I have heard of pie safes but never really thought about them. Makes sense that they were meant to keep the critters out of the pies including critters of the human variety.

• Similar Content

• By cteavin
      I posted this on YouTube the other day and thought I'd post it here. Personally, when I make them for me I only use Erythritol (a sugar substitute) but depending on the friend sugar or a blend of the two. Unlike other zucchini brownies, these don't use egg white, so they're not cake-y, but dense and fudgy. 

Oh, and because I use whey protein, they're higher in protein and good for post-workout bite. 

Ingredients
      300 -400 grams zucchini 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 cup sugar or sugar substitute 1/2 cup cocoa 1-2 tablespoons flavoring (brandy, rum, vanilla, etc) 2 shots of espresso (or instant, 60ml/2oz) 2 egg yolks 1/2 cup flour 1/2 cup oatmeal 1 cup whey protein (or milk powder) 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, but adds nice flavor)   1. Mince the zucchini in the food processor with the salt.
      2. Add the sugar or sugar substitute and process until the sugar is dissolved.
      3. Bloom your cocoa: In a separate bowl, combine the cocoa with HOT espresso and your flavorings (including cinnamon). Stir until mostly dissolved.
      4. To the food processor add the cocoa mixture and two egg yolks and blend together.
      5. Add the whey protein or milk powder to the mixture and blend together.
      6. Add the oatmeal and blend.
      7. Add the flour and pulse to incorporate (in other words, try not to over mix).
      8. Pour into a brownie pan and bake for 20-30 minutes at 180C/350F
    • By ShylahSinger
      Hello! I'm fairly new to this site so I don't know if my search was weak. I'm trying to find a way to make Mandarin orange puree at home, but I couldn't find anything even similar in the forum. I am a home cook, but I have been making chocolate bonbons and other confections for over 4 years (intermitantly). It is too expensive for me to purchase this online- not because of the price of the puree, but the cost of shipping makes it prohibative. The recipes I've seen online are all differant and don't seem to be what I need. 
      I would love any help with this! I look forward to hearing and learning from those who have much, much more experience than me. Thanks!
    • By Darienne
      In hopes of sleeping better, etc, etc, I have currently given up gluten, dairy and now sugar.  The gluten and dairy pose no problems...the sugar does.  I am not happy using mannitol or erythritol or any of those artificial sweeteners...they give me severe digestive problems.   But I can tolerate stevia very nicely.  The only problem is that there doesn't seem to be much sweetened with this ingredient.

I do have a carob/coconut oil/peanut butter/stevia candy of sorts.  I don't really like it all that much, but it does work.  That's about it.

Has anyone any recipes for desserts using stevia?  Thanks.
    • By Janet Taylor
      Ever since Todd talked making cupcakes I have been cupcake crazy. Although, I am not a cake maker but more of a pie person.
      My first dessert that I love that I make is my Coconut Cream Pie w/heavy whipped cream. I don't use low fat anything and probably angioplasties is necessary after this baby.
      My second is Peach Cobbler w/rich vanilla ice cream. I never met a cobbler that I didn't like, but peach is my favorite.
      I don't make these often because I wouldn't be able to get through the front door if I did.
      How about yours?
      .....Janet