• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savory cobbler

Chufi

I want to make a savoury cobbler for a dinner party. I figure I can use a recipe for chicken pot pie (I have a favorite), but, instead of making a pastry to cover the top, I want to mix up a cobbler dough and just drop spoonfulls on top and then bake.

Does anyone have a good recipe for this? I'd prefer the mix & spoon method just described (I found a couple of recipes online for savoury cobblers with a biscuit topping, but then the biscuit dough has to be rolled and cut, which is exactly the hassle I want to avoid for this particular dinner :smile: )

Here's a good one, if you can get cornmeal. Even polenta would work here.

1 cup flour

1 cup cornmeal

2 Tablespoons sugar (or less to taste)

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 cup milk

3 Tablespoons vegetable oil

herbs of your choice (optional)

Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and any herbs in a mixing bowl. Whisk together the egg, milk, and oil and mix into the dry ingredients just until combined. Drop by spoonfuls over the vegetables.

my recipe is similar to Abra's--delish for chicken pot pie style, or beef stew or even a Mexican style something on the bottom.

I believe you can use any biscuit recipe and just add more milk so you san drop instead of roll out.

One of the winners in an old Pillsbury Bake-Off was Veal Stew with Buttercrumb Dumplings. More elegant, I think, than cobbler topping, and delicious too.

The dumplings were the drop kind. Each was dropped into melted butter and then into bread crumbs, then placed on top of the stew in a casserole and baked. I never made the veal stew part, but have used the dumplings on other stews.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

buttermilk biscuits of any type made with enough buttermilk to make a drop dough...I also add some curry to my chicken inside ...

people love this dish!!! what a great idea for a party ...it is true comfort food

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Thanks guys.

I'll probably use Abra's recipe, the cornmeal sounds good. This dinner is my pre-birthdaydinner with my (elderly) relatives, who all have very, and I mean very conservative tastes. I doubt they ever saw cornmeal in their life so that should make a nice conversation topic.

Curry to flavor the chicken would be really stretching it though :laugh:

The dinner is Saturday, I'll be sure to report back!

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up using Abra's recipe on top of a mixture of chicken, fennel and bacon, in a creamy mustardy sauce.

The batter was a bit runny, and I think that may have been my fault, as I was chatting with my mom as I was mixing and adjusting the measurements :shock: Anyway, the endresult did not look very cobbly, but the batter did bake up nicely - fluffy and light and with a lovely nutty flavor from the cornmeal.

I did not get a good picture of it, but you can see it here in the Dinner!thread.