• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

making prune juice palatable

alacarte

I'm trying to help out a friend with dietary issues, who is required to drink a couple of glasses of prune juice daily.

Is there any mixed beverage that will make it easier or more fun to get the stuff down? It's OK to mix with pretty much anything except alcohol.

I've thought of suggesting Perrier or sparkling water as a mixer, or maybe combining with other fruit juices --but prune is a tough one to mix, since it's heavy and doesn't combine well. I'm starting to understand why we don't see prune cocktails!

Any ideas gratefully accepted - thanks!

Not very pretty but sparkling apple cider (or any apple-based drink), prune juice and a bit of orange juice is good.

Tart cranberry juice would pair well with the thicker, sweeter prune juice.

Perhaps you could use the prune juice in a granita with lemon? Prune and almond ice-cream?

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

This could end up either great or dreadful :biggrin: but the thought came of the taste a red wine toddy has, which can be similar to prune juice in some way. Here's what I'd try: prune juice warmed (mulled) with lemon peel (or maybe orange would be better with prune?) and good cinnamon. A tad or sugar or not, depending on the balance. Served in a small portion in a demitasse cup with maybe a small square of dark chocolate on the side (I'd guess that the chocolate taste would blend well and minimize the "pruniness" besides adding a touch of elegance that prune juice normally does not hold).

Well, really. Add a dram of good brandy to this and it would go down quite easy. :raz:

How about making a smoothie with another juice or fruit added, along with dairy and ice cubes?

Or make prune jelly with unflavored gelatin, serve with a bit of whipped cream.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

thanks ruth!

Initial feedback - after a couple of tries, this was a winner:

Start with well-chilled juices, or shake over ice.

In a shaker, combine 3/4 parts prune juice to 1/4 part apple juice, plus one teaspoon of sugar. Shake until foamy.

Pour into a tall glass and finish with ginger ale.

Serve with a bendy straw. :smile:

as a nurse I try to get people to drink this for constipation and have told them (after reading this) that prune juice and 7up tastes like Dr Pepper ..

honestly I have never tried it but people do report back to me that it is great that way!

why not eat prunes instead would that work for you ..prunes and a big glass of water!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I kind of like the taste of prune juice and would be fine drinking it simply chilled over ice, however I think if the goal is to cut through the flavor one of the best mixers would be pineapple juice.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)