• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making a "death by chocolate" cake

doughgirl

I've got this cake recipe I've been wanting to try, a chocolate custard devil's food cake (Chocolate Cakes, Michele Urvater). It's where you make some chocolate custard and mix it into the cake batter, supposedly making it very moist. I'm unsure what to do with it now that it's cooling, I'm awful at trying to pair things like the filling and the frosting/icing/ganache.

I was think of adding a chocolate custard buttercream for the filling and maybe regular or whipped bittersweet ganache for the top? Does that sound too heavy? Or just like an all around bad idea? Any other suggestions? Thank you so much for your help!

I was think of adding a chocolate custard buttercream for the filling and maybe regular or whipped bittersweet ganache for the top?  Does that sound too heavy? Or just like an all around bad idea?  Any other suggestions?  Thank you so much for your help!

I like chocolate as much as anyone, but rather than adding more of it to what sounds to already be a very rich chocolatey cake, I'd consider a vanilla frosting (ala Red Velvet Cake) or maybe caramel frosting?

SB :smile:

If you are looking for the ultimate chocolate cake allow me to recommend the "La Bete Noire" the black beast.

gallery_38003_3498_512503.jpg

You can get the recipe by checking epicurious.com. The cake appeared on the cover of the September 2006 edition of Bon Appetit.

If you love chocolate you will love this cake.

Enjoy, life is short.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I like to preserve the chocolate-ness of a great chocolate cake by filling with cream cheese filling and icing with a vanilla swiss meringue. Raspberry or berry filling would be great. Umm, banana filling would be cool. A shake of cinnamon sugar would be heavenly.

I like to preserve the chocolate-ness of a great chocolate cake by filling with cream cheese filling

Along the same lines, a mascarpone-whipping cream filling (your choice of flavor) would offset the chocolate cake nicely. Or you could make the same filling with either white or dark chocolate to up the chocolate factor.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Thanks for all the suggestions, I ran out of time and didn't even get around to the cake last night, but I covered and filled it with some ganache and served it for dinner tonight and I shouldn't have even bothered, the cake cake was dry and tasteless. The recipe was a dud and a complete waste of expensive chocolate. I hate when that happens!

I think I'll try again with my "tried and true" midnight chocolate cake recipe that has never let me down!