• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with Food and Wine

The February issue of Food and Wine is absolutely full of gorgeous Spanish recipes, including some fast recipes from Ferran Adria. There are several that set my Harvest Vine antennae ringing, as well. I'm dying to try about 85% of everything in that issue, but just can't eat all that by myself!

Would anyone like to get together for a cookathon, wherein we each make a couple of recipes from that issue and have a Spanish food fiesta?

How about if everyone who wants to play gets a copy of the magazine and we start figuring out what dishes we'll each make. When we see how many people we are, we'll pick a place.

I'm having a horrible time narrowing it down to two, but I think I'll make

Pork in Adobo Sauce (not like any adobo recipe I've ever seen)

Cabrales Phyllo Rolls with Sherry Dipping Sauce

What a great idea!

I'm interested and will go pick up the magazine today.

From my experience with eGullet cooking together functions, a weeknight wouldn't give us enough time to cook and eat without ending really late. We usually need part of an afternoon and then the evening for cooking and eating. However, if we're going to do more of a potluck format, a weeknight would probably work.

My preference would be a Saturday or Sunday afternoon/evening, but I can be flexible depending on everyone else.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

We have the magazine and were really interested in trying some things, brings back great memories of our recent trip. There is an interview with Arzak too. I'm out of town right now but will go thru it when I get back and see if Dayne and I might be able to contribute. Excellent idea Abra!

I too tend to think weekends are more fun, since every eG event I've been to went on into the semi-wee hours.

As to Bainbridge or Seattle, Sparrowsfall has generously offered to host it in Seattle, unless y'all are dying to come to the island, in which case I'd love to have you here. I haven't checked with him about what dates he has available, but in general there's Saturday the 15th, 22nd, or 29th. Preferences?

So far we have

Rockdoggydog

White Lotus

Foodie Girl? (how did your post get sooooooooo long?)

SeaGal

Cheeseandchocolate

littlemsfoodie?

Sparrowsfall

Abra

Laurel

Lookin' good, folks, lookin' good. How about if we bring all Spanish wines, too? There are some wonderful bargains among Spanish wines lately, and the quality is often excellent.

edited to add: Laurel

Edited by Abra (log)

Great idea!! I am sort of schedule-challenged right now, but would hate to miss out on joining you and meeting more PNWgullets. I'll go grab the magazine in any case.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

Abra, really great idea. Count us in. Our date preferences are 29 January and 15 January in that order. Can't make it on the 22nd at all. Thanks for thinking of the idea. Kay

If January dates don't work there are also Feb. weekends to consider.

Edited to add Feb. suggestion.

Edited by kayswv (log)

Are we talking January? If so, Jan 22nd or 29th would work well for me. I'm open to either Steve or Abra's.

Thank you both for offering your homes for this. I'd do it, but my kitchen sucks!!

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

I picked up a copy today, and if the dates work well I would love to play too!

The chickpea & spinach stew also looks wonderful, as do the fried gorgonzola bites! I confess to a certain caution re deep frying, but would be happy to do the prep if someone else dropped them into the boiling oil! :smile:

Eden

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Thanks to Sparrowsfall, I am happy to announce that we will have our fiesta on Saturday Jan. 22 at his home in Seattle.

Here's what I know so far, omitting people who cannot join us that day, and leaving spaces for you to tell us

a)whether you'll be bringing someone, and

b) what food you'll be doing

Rockdoggydog - Saucy Clams and Shrimp with Wild Mushrooms, and Garlicky Shrimp with Olive Oil

White Lotus

SeaGal?

Cheeseandchocolate - Cauliflower Gratin with Manchego and Almond Sauce, and Toasted Bread and Bittersweet Chocolate

littlemsfoodie?

Sparrowsfall

Abra and Shel - Pork in Adobo Sauce and Cabrales Phyllo Rolls with Sherry Dipping Sauce

Laurel

Eden? - Chickpea and Spinach Stew and Fried Gorgonzola Bites

MT-Tarragon?

Check out page 78 for Spanish wine suggestions.

Edited by Abra (log)

I'm trying to find the Feb issue of Food and Wine, but can only find the Jan issue. I looked a Barnes and Noble and Elliott Bay Books. Where can I find it?

Also, my husband is having knee surgery the day before, so my attendance is contingent on how he's doing. Hope that's ok.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

The 22nd sounds great to me!

If Steve will permit me to finish them in his oven, I'd like to try the cauliflower gratin with manchego and almond sauce on page 120 (sounds rich, and all the better to share with a crowd!), as well as the simple but enticing toasted bread with bittersweet chocolate on page 103, from the Adria piece.

She blogs: Orangette

Cheeseandchocolate, you're doing a heroic job of living up to your name! I'm going to keep editing the post upthread until I can't do it any longer, so that's where changes are for the moment.

Steve is great about people cooking at his house - encourages it, in fact, so no worries about the oven.

Good luck to SeaGuy on his surgery, and we'll hope he's doing well enough for you to join us, Jan!

If you don't have a copy of Food & Wine, the password this month (FEB) is "SPAIN" and you can search their website.

[posted by Al]

Thanks, great idea!

Jan

Seattle, WA

Thanks for letting us use your kitchen Steve.

I'd like to give the saucy clams and shrimp with wild mushrooms a whirls along with the garlicky shrimp with olive oil if no one else really wants to do that one.

Rocky

P.S. Anyone having a hard time find the feb F&W can borrow my copy.