• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Menu Input

chefzr

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone would like to make some criticisms to a menu I am developing for a Thesis project.

Apps

Seafood

Oyster Trio- seviche, steamed, fried

Tuna tartar-chili-sesame oil, quail egg, lemon marinated sweet pair

Grouper Carpaccio- lime-chili vinaigrette

She Crab Soup- creamy soup with crab cake in bottom of bowl

Corn and peach Salad with a quarter grilled lobster tail- Roasted Corn and fresh peach with a chili-shallot vinaigrette, and red pepper crème fraiche

Shrimp sautéed in red-eye gravy served over fried grits

Smoked Salmon w/ frisee, radishes, and oranges

Fried Calamari w/ garlic-lemon-chives aioli

Other

Tomato Trio- salad, sorbet, candied

Barbequed Duck Confit- spicy vinegar based w/ corn fritters

Fried Green Tomatoes- classic buttermilk dressing

Heirloom Tomato Pizza w/ artichokes, pancetta, proscuitto, homemade roma tom sauce, asiago, pecorino, parmesan, and mozzarella

Beet and orange Carpaccio- micro greens, goat cheese, pepper, Black salt, pistachio oil

Beef Salad- lightly seared sliced with arugala, shaved parmesan, and celery-truffle oil vinaigrette over top

Braised Chicken and Sweet Potato Empanada w/ green chili sauce

Whippped Brie on Cruets with a parsley radish salad

Salad

Arugala salad- shredded radishes, parmesan, fresh crack, classic vinaigrette

Fennel and Herb- Shaved Fennel, chopped fronds, basil, tarragon, parsley, chives, celery leaves, with aioli

Fennel and Mush- Grilled Shaved Fennel, roasted mushrooms, bed of endive, and lemon crème fraiche

Caesar Salad- parmesan custard topped with a crostini and roamine dressed in caeser with a parmesan crisp

Heirloom Tom. Salad w/ Avocado Mousse- Marinated Sliced Tom in shallot vinaigrette w arugala tossed in vinaigrette

Mesculn Greens with Manchego Cheese and Dried Figs with Honey- Champagne Vinaigrette

Soup

Leek and Onion Soup with an Irish Cheese

Fennel and Fish Stock Soup with clams

Gazpacho w/ black pepper crème fraiche

Roasted squash soup

Corn and shrimp bisque

Entrees

Fish

Mushroom and Four Cheese Ravioli w/ sautéed asparagus in veal stock sauce w/ pan seared snapper served over top

Grilled Salmon w/a lemon thyme butter over wilted spinach and garlic and thyme roasted red potatoes

Roasted Trout stuffed with caramelized red onions and citrus

Grilled whole sea bass rubbed in garlic, parsley, thyme, chervil, oil served over a garlic cassoulet

Seared Tuna w/ roasted tomato vinaigrette and fennel herb salad

Braised snapper in peppers and lemons w/ lemon-rosemary vin.

Pork

BBQ pork chop stuffed with green apples (pinot noir BBQ sauce)

Grilled Pork Tenderloin w/ Peach Black Pepper Chutney

Braised pork belly w/ a potato pancake and mustard “syrup”, sautéed asparagus

Poultry

½ roasted game hen w/ white wine chicken stock demi

Seared Duck breast served over Brussels sprouts and mustard sauce

Chicken Breast stuffed with Confit mushrooms (under skin) with caramelized onion sauce

Beef

Butter-poached Rib eye w/ pinot noir, mushroom, veal stock sauce

Grilled Filet w/ herb and lemon butter compote

Pan Seared NY Strip w/ a bleu cheese crust

Braised Short Rib in red wine, heirlooms, shallots, garlic, carrots. Puree vegetables and sauce over top of rib

Pepper crusted Beef Tenderloin w/ cilantro oil

Lamb

Lamb Chops poached in olive oil w/ tapenade and candied lemon zests

Braised lamb shank in orange juice, cilantro, garlic, and jalapeños

Rabbit

Grilled loin and braised thigh w/ bacon jus w/ a deconstructed cassoulet. Butter beans cooked w/ hamhock and grilled duck sausage

Vegetarian

Herb Gnocchi with heirlooms, zucchini, squash, nicoise

Herb Gnocchi w/ ragout of mushrooms

Roasted Vegetable Terrine w/ squash, eggplant, portabellas w/ a polenta cake

Spinach Fettechunie w/ braised artichokes and tomato vinaigrette

Deserts

Blueberry Pound Cake with lemon zabaglione

Chocolate Cake w/ Peanut butter molten

Chocolate Chip Cookies with homemade Vanilla ice cream

Red Velvet cupcake with Strawberry Icing and a strawberry Milkshake

Brueeled Banana with a Rum and Caramel Ice Cream

Lemon Sorbet w/ Basil Syrup

Lemon Pound Cake w/ a poached peach, crème angalise, and poaching liquid syrup

Honey Icecream with Vanilla roasted Figs

Sweet corn waffles with a corn cream butter and a bourbon syrup

Sorry about the layout of the menu and by the way these are just all the ideas, not the entire menu that would be used at one time.

We've had topics like this many times before here in eGullet, and they're always really difficult to respond to. Why don't you tell us more about the hypothetical restaurant - themes, etc., so we have a context to discuss from.

The only area that I took the time to read - because there is so much was the desserts

Deserts

Without knowing the theme, some of these feel more seasonal than others, suggesting that maybe shouldn't be on a regular menu. I would never order the CCCs - too common in comparison. I wonder how much red velvet you would sell - we all know how much dye is in those things - maybe a play on red velvet. What if you made a raspberry cake using puree? The "poaching liquid syrup" is unnecessary as are few other ingredients - less is probably more when it comes to menus - this becomes overwhelming. I bet the waffles would never sell. Too scary for most although I like corn in my desserts.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone would like to make some criticisms to a menu I am developing for a Thesis project.

chefzr,

If I may, a few comments:

Oyster Trio- seviche, steamed, fried - very labor intensive, high food cost, and how many people would order something like that in a pretty mainstream eatery?

Fried Calamari w/ garlic-lemon-chives aioli - they are everywhere, and it's old and boring;

Mushroom and Four Cheese Ravioli w/ sautéed asparagus in veal stock sauce w/ pan seared snapper served over top - "over the top", indeed. There are just too many things going on at once, I think.

Do you really need as many primary proteins as you have on the menu? Poultry, Pork, Beef, etc.? May be it's part of the project, though...

Good desserts!

Please don't take it the wrong way - your menu seem to lack structure, although it's only a draft.

Edited by MikeTMD (log)

"It's not from my kitchen, it's from my heart"

Michael T.

My flickr collection

I'd order the waffles. I'd adjust my meal to make sure I had enough room for that.

I agree, the choc chip cookie is out of place.

and it would help to know target audience etc.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Too many menu items lead to a lack of focus. Its impossible to keep everything you have listed as fresh as possible. You would end up throwing out half of it before it was used in time. Or worse not stock enough of it and end up running out mid-service. Not to mention the labor to pull off this diverse of a menu (prep and service). In general, quality of the food and service would suffer too much.

As a startup I'd go back and limit the menu to a set number of items and re-select those that I would really want to see on it. Then go back and do it again. After the business is open and operating smoothly I could add more items or swap out the stuff that no one buys for something new.

Take into account what menu items would have overlapping ingredients. That will save you money and or get you a discount by ordering in bulk. It also can add a theme to the menu.

Keep in mind what Rob said about seasonal items. Its ok to do seasonal on the menu, but really I'd save those for my specials.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

We've had topics like this many times before here in eGullet, and they're always really difficult to respond to.  Why don't you tell us more about the hypothetical restaurant - themes, etc., so we have a context to discuss from.

The only area that I took the time to read - because there is so much was the desserts

Deserts

Without knowing the theme, some of these feel more seasonal than others, suggesting that maybe shouldn't be on a regular menu. I would never order the CCCs - too common in comparison. I wonder how much red velvet you would sell - we all know how much dye is in those things - maybe a play on red velvet. What if you made a raspberry cake using puree? The "poaching liquid syrup" is unnecessary as are few other ingredients - less is probably more when it comes to menus - this becomes overwhelming. I bet the waffles would never sell. Too scary for most although I like corn in my desserts.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Just looking at the desserts, I have to say they look very appealing to me! I am very intrigued by the waffle/corn cream butter dessert actually. I don't like throwing berries into any dessert but the rasberries might be very nice with the waffles as well. I understand gfron's point that this dessert might be challenging to some but I think it just depends on your audience. In any case, I think the desserts look great but I agree that they should be served seasonally especially because you are highlighting fruit ingredients and flavors which I think is great.

Some specific comments:

How will the corn be incorporated into the waffles? Adding the corn in as with blueberry waffles?

I'm not personally a huge fan of red velvet cake but I think it has achieved a certain level of interest outside of its normal environs and I like your frosting idea better than the 'normal' (I think) white icing in terms of both looks and flavor. gfron's raspberry flavoring rather than chocolate plus coloring could be interesting but then it would be moving away from a variation on red velvet cake if that is what you wanted.

I love a thin, crisp cookie served with sorbets... maybe some type of thin unfrosted florentine or tuile would be a nice touch with the sorbet.

I might considered roasted and sugared, sliced almonds with the honey ice cream and figs just for an additional textural element although it sounds nice to me as is.

The poundcakes sound lovely and I would think of ordering those too. It's hard to get a nice, real butter poundcake without preservatives when you don't have time to make one yourself.

Just a couple of ideas!

edited to add: Austrian pumpkinseed oil swirled/drizzled over the top of squash soups is a nice combination. The oil has a strong, interesting flavor which is complementary to squash and its dark green color provides a nice contrast. Toasted pumpkin seeds are another option.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

And just to state the obvious...if you're asking what eGulleters find appealing on an eGullet menu, then go for challenging, unique, possibly even bizarre flavors. If you're targeting the general population, then stick to tried and true - albeit a bit playful versions of the classics.

I hope you plan to figure out your labor - skilled labor and your facility - you have a huge freakin menu -

it looks great and as chef I appreciate all of the dished you have - but in the real world you have to think of:

your place - are the items from fried green tomato to grouper carpaccio who is your clients

your facility is going to have to be a fairly good size place.

Your Labor - well most things are easy to do on your menu but you still have to train someone to do them so you have to think of how many people and at what skill level

numbers - how many people are you going to get in the door - are you in a LAs Vegas kind of place or downtown nowhere

I would cut that menu - nothing is more frustrating to people than really having to read a menu - why Cheesecake factorys work I have no idea - the menus are crazy

food cost - right now things are costing us A LOT. I would not wanting to be opening a place right now - deliveries for my club are costing 10.00 and with the costs going up - that is a lot. Some things have gone up 10 - 20% so that is a piece

As I am working on a menu - I have to think of who I have on the line - are they able to do formal dinner service - things you have take people and that is the first thing I see wrong - too many items - too many ingredients - I see your "handle" is chef - if you are a chef - which many people are not in this blg - you better really look into your thesis and consider the outside economic factors - if you don't your professor is going to kick you down with a letter grade - At the CIA - My menu development was carefully considering all of the facts - the big one being = LABOR - INVENTORY - WASTE - if you have that stuff on hand and it rots you lose bigtime!

Oh and the thing about spelling - nothing pisses me off more than seeing things mis spelled on a menu - one thing for typos on informal things like here and on personal emails and crap but on a menu - better have a proof reader!!!

Edited by Jakea222 (log)

I agree with the majority. It's way too much and too broad.

A half dozen apps maybe - a seafood or two, some veggie kind of thing, some meat.

Think of the storage alone!

I always like a smaller, well-thought out, balanced menu rather than trying to have "something to please everyone" kind of thinking.

And just to state the obvious...if you're asking what eGulleters find appealing on an eGullet menu, then go for challenging, unique, possibly even bizarre flavors.  If you're targeting the general population, then stick to tried and true - albeit a bit playful versions of the classics.

Add some sweetbreads! That would be cool. Not cool: BBQ Duck Confit in a vinegar base. Vinegar - on the tongue - doesn't play well with fat content of a confit, IMHO. I'm also a bit of a purest and don't like my duck or confit to be manipulated very much.

As far as the menu goes. I notice that this is supposed to be a mental exercise and you're not going to hold everything in the kitchen at once (I hope), but I am not understanding what "soul" of the menu is. What are you trying to communicate? Those appetizers, IMHO, read like they are a bit over-engineered.

Edited by C_Ruark (log)
"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com