• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mango Ice Cream

merstar

I've seen a few on Google, but would prefer a T&T if anyone has one. Thanks.

Our family has always enjoyed this Mango Ice Cream.

8 cups heavy cream

1 1/2 cups sugar

4 cups pureed fresh mango (6 to 8 very ripe mangoes)

juice of 3 limes, strained

Scald the cream, take off the heat and add sugar, stirring till it dissolves. Stir in mango puree and strained lime juice. Let cool, then freeze in an ice cream machine.

David Lebovitz's new book, The Perfect Scoop, has a mango sorbet recipe that's certainly worth trying. It's hard to believe there are no dairly products in it, it's so rich and creamy... I've previously made ice creams with mangoes, but the flavour of the mango was more subtle in them - in this one, it's front and centre, so use the best-quality mangoes you can find (I used my precious Alphonsos...).

I cook my mangos in a tble shaved fresh ginger ..a good squeeze of fresh lime juice and sugar and then leaving them chunky just add them to a good vanilla bean flavored vanilla ice cream recipe (mine is just half and half vanilla beans and sugar warmed together well and chilled before churning)

sounds like I need to go look for some mangos thanks for this thread!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

David Lebovitz's new book, The Perfect Scoop, has a mango sorbet recipe that's certainly worth trying.  It's hard to believe there are no dairly products in it, it's so rich and creamy...  I've previously made ice creams with mangoes, but the flavour of the mango was more subtle in them - in this one, it's front and centre, so use the best-quality mangoes you can find (I used my precious Alphonsos...).

Cheryl, I don't have the book yet, but I've seen an adaptation online that I think is from David Lebovitz. It's called "Lime Mango Sorbet," and there's tequila in it, along with zest from one lime, 1/2 cup lime juice, 3 mangoes, etc. Is that the one?

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

That's a variation based on it, but it's not the same - although it does look good! I may have to try that one next... The one in the book is mangoes, sugar, water, lime juice, rum, and salt (I left out the rum in mine), but different amounts than in the lime mango sorbet.

Edited by cheryl (log)

I cook my mangos in a tble shaved fresh ginger ..a good squeeze of fresh lime juice and sugar and then leaving them chunky just add them to a good vanilla bean flavored vanilla ice cream recipe (mine is just half and half vanilla beans and sugar warmed together well and chilled before churning)

sounds like I need to go look for some mangos thanks for this thread!

That sounds good, too!

Here is one I teach in my Filipino Food class. It's simple and full-flavored, and doesn't get icy easily.

3 or 4 very ripe mangoes, or 2 cups mango puree

2 ½ cups cream

½ cup milk

2/3 cup sugar

2 eggs

¾ cup macapuno strings

If using fresh mangoes: slice from around seed, cube flesh and remove from peel; puree in food processor or blender. You should have about 2 cups.

Have an ice bath ready. Heat cream and milk to simmer in medium saucepan. Whisk together eggs and sugar. Add a little of the milk mixture to the eggs to temper, and return to the pot. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Chill in ice bath.

When completely cooled, stir in mango puree. Process in ice cream maker. As it comes out of the machine, stir in macapuno strings.

Mango is ice cream is good, but I think mango's are much more suited to sorbet. There is so much pectin in mangoes that mango sorbet can come out thick, creamy, and smooth like ice cream without a drop of milk or cream.

This is my rough recipe:

-2 cups mango puree, from very ripe mangoes (after being put through a fine sieve if mangoes are fibrous)

-4 T cold water

-Lime juice to taste (probably 3-5 T or so)

-Sugar to taste (probably a half cup ish, start with a small amount and work from there)

-pinch sea salt

Add water, lime juice, salt,and sugar to mangoes and whisk to mix vigorously, or mix in a blender. Provided you mix well you should have no problems getting the sugar dissolved without heat, which I think is important as it destroys some fresh flavors. Keep adjusting the sugar and lime juice until you have a balance, and it tastes slightly too sweet. Chill thoroughly, and process in an ice cream machine. The pectin seems to provide some leeway with how much sugar you can use, so you can have a nice texture without it being overly sweet, using only sucrose.

I've been using the wonderful Ataulfo's that are so plentiful right now for this. The first time I made it I put the mangoes through a sieve, but there was nothing left behind, so I don't bother anymore. I think very ripe, even overipe mangoes are best.

Cheryl how was it with the Alphonsos? I bought a box from a store up near Park and St. Laurent, as I had been wanting to try Indian mangoes so badly. They were pretty expensive though, and I'm guessing prematurely picked. The clove and vanilla notes of the mangoes were pretty amazing, but I didn't really feel they were better than Ataulfos, especially considering the price.

I also tried a more diluted version with more water and sugar, but I didn't like it as much. I found that the pectin in the mangoes created such a creamy texture, that it was hard to get that sort of "light, refreshing" type sorbet with a lighter texture. Without that, the more diluted one just wasn't as creamy nor as bursting with mango goodness.

You know, maybe I should rethink this and go for the sorbet. Yours sounds great, and I appreciate your excellent directions and tips. Thank you very much.

Ages ago I made mango sorbet-- I processed chunks of the almost-icy hard sorbet in a blender, and the texture was still great. reenicake, is there any way I can get an ice cream maker around here? (Maybe my only chance is if a relative comes back from the States...)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Hi Merstar,

you can take this recipe and try it.

I make this recipe about 12 years already.I work in the hotel as pastry chef and I use with this recipe the mango ice cream very nice.

500 ml Milk

100 gr Sugar

4 pcs Eggs Yolks

500 gr Mango Puree

-Mix the egg yolk with a half sugar

-Boiling the milk with the remaning sugar.Take a little from the milk pour into the egg yolk mixture then add the egg yolk mixture into the milk boiling.

-Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1 minutes.

-Use the hand mixture to blend it then add the mango puree into the cream anglaise.

-Let it cool in the room temperatue.

-When completely cooled, stir in mango puree. Process in ice cream maker.

I hope your will like this recipe.

If you have any problem you can contact with me by the email dzung2002sg@yahoo.com

Hello dzungnguyen,

Thank you for your recipe. I've sent you a PM with a question (look at the top of the page for new messages).

Thanks,

Meryl

Cheryl how was it with the Alphonsos? I bought a box from a store up near Park and St. Laurent, as I had been wanting to try Indian mangoes so badly. They were pretty expensive though, and I'm guessing prematurely picked. The clove and vanilla notes of the mangoes were pretty amazing, but I didn't really feel they were better than Ataulfos, especially considering the price.

The Alphonsos I got came from the West Island (Apna Bazaar) and were $20 for a box - they are air-freighted in every Thursday during mango season (which doesn't last for that long, unfortunately...) and they are definitely not picked prematurely. While Ataulfos are pretty good, they just can't compare to the creamy flavour of a ripe Alphonso! Worth every cent, IMHO. :wub: