• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef: Season 3

KristiB50

I know one of the contestants well enough to know that whatever he does, he is *never* boring. Nuts, perhaps. Uncensored, always. Can drink me under the table any day of the week. Go, Dale. I hope you made that "special" charcuterie plate for a challenge (you did have to cook with ingredients from the corner Quick Mart, right?).

The potential contestants also seem really really boring.  There could be a couple decent cooks though.

That could be a bit of an understatement :biggrin:

There's the executive sous of guy savoy, the executive sous of Jean Georges, a James Beard Nominated chef, a sous at one of Michelle Bernstein's restaurants.

Though again, management doesn't always translate to great cooks.

I'm actually excited about this season though. There's a lot of recognizable resumes out there.

Maybe it finally won't be about the drama.

Edited by tetsujustin (log)

It's Bravo. There has to be drama.

In related news, from a Bravo press release:

Top Chef: 4-Star All Stars,” will pit first season’s cheftestants, Harold Dieterle, Stephen “Sommelier” Asprinio, Tiffani Faison and Crying Dave Martin against the second season finalists, Marcel Vigneron, Sam Talbot, Elia Aboumrad and Ilan Hall. The two teams are competing for a $20,000 prize that will be donated to charity.

It's like my dream come true. Seriously. Harold, Stephen, Marcel, Elia, what more could you want? Airs on June 6, where the meal will be served to the 15 new contestants of Top Chef 3: Miami.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

Bravo has posted the bio's of the contestants here.

I was a betting man, I would say Hung is this seasons Marcel. I say this from the wording of his bio -- this sentence is a little odd.

Hung works as the Executive Sous Chef at one of the most expensive restaurants in Las Vegas, Guy Savoy.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

It's Bravo.  There has to be drama.

Yes, unfortunately.

But adding on to my last post. Dale Levitski, the chef who took over Trio after Grant Achatz left is also on the show as a contestant. Though not as revered as the previous Trio chefs, he had a lot of very favorable reviews.

This is probably the most talented cast yet.

This one so far has the most amount of potential competitors. From a culinary stand point it is gonna be very curious to see how people of higher caliber compeition work under a totally different kind of pressure than that of a normal kitchen. IT's easy to say oh well they are used to pressure but from past experince TV show pressure is totally different because the producers throw very unexpected stuff at you and you can't control what the other people who want to win are doiing. That added factor takes the control out of your hands and that alone can become a twisted tale of " o-crap".

Has anyone of Tre Wilcox's stature ever been on the show? A twice-nominated James Beard rising star strikes me as someone far more accomplished than the typical contestant.

I wonder why Bravo doesn't mention this fact in the bio they posted? And I wonder why someone at his level of national exposure would want to be on the show?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Actually, I've ended up watching all the career reality shows on Bravo! And say what you will, "Top Chef" is the most interesting, challenging and fun of them all.

"Top Design' was a snore and the thing with the hairdressers is odd but interesting.

Maybe it's just because I am into food, but TC is it.

• 3 weeks later...

I am rooting for Season one as well.

I in no way think Ilan should have won Season 2, all he did was copy dishes. I dont mind the rest of the group of Season two, but them winning only highlights that guy's win. He really gets to me.

Plus Season 2, had TOO much drama.

Excited to watch it tonight.

Im watching the "top chef all star" right now (I have dvr, so I can press pause) and as soon as I saw marcel say "blah blah blah egg blah blah foam" I busted out laughing. I guess it doesn't help that I am watching and drinking champagne at the same time.

also what is up with ilan looking like arsenio hall?

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Well if Ilan can't cook Spanish he can't cook! This shows he never should have won.

I'm so glad Gail wasn't there for the egg quickfire. We would have heard all about how she likes her eggs again. I do not like Gail.

I complained about Stephen while watching S-1 but now I realize I miss him and there will never be another. Same goes for Tiffani.

Marcel is still a gnat.

Well if Ilan can't cook Spanish he can't cook! This shows he never should have won.

I'm so glad Gail wasn't there for the egg quickfire. We would have heard all about how she likes her eggs again. I do not like Gail.

I complained about Stephen while watching S-1 but now I realize I miss him and there will never be another. Same goes for Tiffani.

Marcel is still a gnat.

really? I still like marcel better than stephen....marcel is clueless but lovable. Stephen on the other hand is just an all around asshole :angry:

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA