• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MxMo: Beer Cocktails!

Frederic

Our blog, CocktailVirgin, is hosting Mixology Monday on July 11th. The theme is beer used as an ingredient in any mixed drink, cocktail, punch, cup, flip, or fizz. Glasses of beer are out, but throw in a shot of whiskey for a Boilermaker and it's fair game! A better description of the event and more information on how to participate can be found on the URL below. If you do not have your own blog, feel free to post the drink recipe, a photo, and a description of what you made, why you made it, and how it taste on this thread.

Cheers, Frederic

mxmo_hops2.jpg

http://cocktailvirgin.blogspot.com/2011/06/mixology-monday-announcement.html

"If you do not have your own blog, feel free to post the drink recipe, a photo, and a description of what you made, why you made it, and how it taste on this thread."

Without at least a recipe, it does not help with the educational part of Mixology Monday.

OK

I used a light Mexican beer, poured into a glass filed with ice. Added some fresh lime juice, a fair amount of hot sauce, and a small dash of the magi.

The michelada is a traditional beer cocktail in mexico. You can riff on it in a lot of ways. Could be as simple as beer with some lime. A bit of salt. Or you can make it more complex like I did. It's quite tasty. You can always play around with the hot sauce. I like Tapatio, and I like a fair amount of it.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Did you know that Bud actually makes a premade Chelada? If you like that sort of thing (which I've learned most people don't, with a passion), it's pretty good. ANyone who likes bloody mary's should give it a try. I swear that I'm the only person who buys them from my local beer shop. I get funny looks when I get a bunch of quality craft beer, then toss in a few Cheladas.

But I'm trying your recipe for a michelada right now - not bad!

My wife and I enjoy the occasional bloody Mary with beer. It a normal bloody Mary mix, but made to a ratio of 1 part wheat beer or German pilsner 2-3 parts bloody Mary mix

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

My wife and I enjoy the occasional bloody Mary with beer. It a normal bloody Mary mix, but made to a ratio of 1 part wheat beer or German pilsner 2-3 parts bloody Mary mix

Dan

In Canada isn't that a Redeye? Or is that just tomato or clamato juice?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

A good opportunity to break in my new copy of David Wondrich's "Punch" with a scaled down Billy Dawson's punch. I used the peel of 1/2 lemon + 1 oz demarara sugar muddled & dissolved in 2 oz hot water. Then 3/4 oz lemon juice, 2 oz Inner Circle Green, 1/2 oz Ron Santiago de Cuba white, 1 1/2 oz cheap brandy, 3/4 oz homebrew porter, and 3 oz boiling water.

No arrack - Australia is practically directly between Ceylon and Java (to use old terminology) but arrack seems to be unavailable. In any case it was very tasty and went down easily and tamed the Inner Circle and the somewhat excessive roasted barley flavour of the porter.

Sorry, no pictures - my camera seems to be having an existential crisis.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

OK, my MxMO Beer Cocktails submission is the cocktail I tried out for last week's TDN — The Flemish 75

I had originally intended to keep the gin as a holdover from the original French 75, along with most of that classic drink's original ingredients and ratios other than the champagne. In its stead, I planned to use a wonderfully tart Belgian ale along the lines of Lindemans Gueuze Cuvée René, but unfortunately here was none to be found at the local beer shops.

Switching gears, I bought a bottle of Lindemans Pomme apple lambic and started thinking about changing my approach to the cocktail. Gin seemed like like it would clash with the sweeter fruit lambic, but cognac seemed like it would work rather well. To add just a touch of balancing sweetness and depth to the already tart-sweet Pomme I included some ginger liqueur and just a touch of maple syrup.

Flemish 75

• 2 oz. cognac (Martel V.S.)

• 0.5 oz. Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur

• 0.25 oz. maple syrup

• 3-4 oz. Lindemans Pomme apple lambic

Shake first three ingredients w/ice, strain into a cocktail flute. Top with Pomme lambic. Garnish with slice granny smith apple.

The drink turned out a very attractive cloudy, effervescent gold, with the Belgian ale contributing a small but dense meringue head. The nose was dominated by delicate apple cider notes, with brandy notes evident but subdued. Apple also dominated the sip initially, but the cognac was immediately evident mid-palate both in the flavors and in the pleasant thick mouthfeel of the drink. Maple and ginger notes were also evident mid-palate and becoming somewhat more pronounced on the swallow but never dominant. In the first attempt at this cocktail last week I went with 0.75 oz. of Canton but that amount put the ginger too much in the forefront so it was cut back for the next iteration.

I honestly find the original French 75, with two full ounces of gin, a bit much compared to most of the decidedly more subdued champagne cocktails. In contrast, even though this new riff on that drink has the same amount of spirits, it is very approachable and drinkable. And repeatable. I like this one, and I hope one or two of the MxMO folks out there give it a spin.

Thanks to Frederic for hosting this month's installment. And sincere thanks for reviving the eG MxMO thread to give us non Booze Bloggers (Booze Bystanders. . . ?) a chance to join in the fun.

flemish75mxmo711.jpg

Edited by Sunny&Rummy (log)

No citrus. An early attempt had the lemon juice of the original French 75 and it was still pretty balanced, but I liked it better without. I think the sweet and tart of the fruit lambic does a good job as solo substitute for citrus and simple syrup (or for the geuze + sugar = beer cafe faro that my originally planned cocktail would have employed). Overall the drink skews sweet, but not unappealing so.

Ach I also see I misspelled Martell in my original post. Apologies for the poor spelling.

Edited by Sunny&Rummy (log)