• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meyer lemon cocktails, no gin

Fat Guy

I've developed a real fondness for Meyer lemons (yes, I know I'm several years behind on this culinary trend) and am trying to use them in cocktails. There are some limitations here, though, in that my wife is not a fan of the juniper. So, any ideas? We recently tried, thanks to a suggestion from Dave the Cook, a Meyer lemon-ized version of Gary Regan's "Missing Link" cocktail: Cane New Orleans rum, Cointreau and Meyer lemon. I thought it was excellent.

Also on the agenda to try is a Meyer lemon sidecar, which would be essentially the same as above, except with Cognac instead of rum. I'm concerned, however, that this will be too bitter and spirituous for my wife's tastes.

Any additional ideas for great Meyer lemon cocktails?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Maybe I can find help here. Where do I buy a Meyer lemon (and a Buddha's Hand)? We are setting off for Utah soon and will go the more southerly route. St Louis, Joplin, OKC, Amarillo, Albuquerque. Any ideas? Keep in mind that I am a flatlander Canuck and don't know all the American grocery stores.

Thanks.

Oh, I want to candy the peel. :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Funny, I'm currently sipping on an old school Tequila Daisy made with Meyer lemon juice and substituting the orange cordial with yellow chartreuse. Damn tasty if I do say so myself.

Spirit of choice 2 oz (I'm using Gran Centenario Anejo meself)

Sugar 1 tsp

Yellow Chart 1 1/2 tsp

Meyer Lmn 1/2 oz

Shake, Strain into small cocktail glass

Top off with seltzer

And smile!

(Edited for clarity)

Edited by RoyalSwagger (log)

Provided you have easy access (I'm assuming you do with a query like this) to Meyers (& other odd citrus), Scott Beattie's book "Artisinal Cocktails [...]" is full of cocktails calling for them, very few of which call for Gin. In fact, for whatever reason, Vodka seems to be Mr. Beattie's favored spirit; with only a handful of Rum, Tequila or Gin drinks scattered throughout the work.

Though I have a dodgy time getting Meyer's here in NJ, when I do they're a treat to play with. Try them in just about any variation on a Sour calling for Lemon juice - scaling simple/sweetener back to taste as you like. Rye Sours are particularly nice this way, as is an Elder Sour.

A SF-based fellow named Duggan McDonnell came up with this (really, really tasty) drink a ways back - great use of both Meyer Lemons & Averna - go figure:

Midnight Smash

1 oz. Averna

1 oz. Cointreau

1 oz. fresh Meyer Lemon juice

3x ripe, fresh Blackberries

~2 oz. Ginger beer

Muddle the Blackberries in a mixing glass. Combine ingredients (except Ginger beer) with plenty of ice & shake. Strain into a highball glass filled with ice and top with Ginger beer. Stir briefly to incorporate & garnish with a wheel of fresh Orange.

Cheers!