• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In praise of snickers ice cream bars

Emily_R

Had one the other day (they are normally my summer treat, but had a craving), and just had to post here, as it was so divine... The true miracle of the things is how they manage to keep the caramel totally liquid while at the same time being paired with frozen ice cream. Every time I eat one I am just awestruck with how fabulously gooey the caramel is. And the fact that they didn't cop out and make the ice cream vanilla -- the ice cream is actually nougat flavored... Insert deep contented sigh here... I think I will have to get another one today...

Emily

They're a guilty pleasure for me, too. Embarrassing as it is to be a foodie and stoop to mass-market confections, they really hit the spot sometimes!

Also enjoyable (in the same grocery area) is a box of mini ice cream bars - miniature versions of the Snickers ice cream bar, as well as Twix, 3 Musketeers, and another I don't recall. Can't remember who makes this - it's pricey for the quantity, but good.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

• 3 months later...
They're a guilty pleasure for me, too.  Embarrassing as it is to be a foodie and stoop to mass-market confections, they really hit the spot sometimes!

Also enjoyable (in the same grocery area) is a box of mini ice cream bars - miniature versions of the Snickers ice cream bar, as well as Twix, 3 Musketeers, and another I don't recall.  Can't remember who makes this - it's pricey for the quantity, but good.

I like the box of minis, too, except for the 3 Musketeers, which are okay but nothing special. But the Snickers is great, and so is the Twix version -- I might even prefer that to the Snickers. The Milky Way is good too (it would be much better if they had a dark chocolate version, though). I find that the smaller version is sized much better for my taste; the first couple of bites are good, but a full-sized bar gets boring by the end.

I like the box of minis, too, except for the 3 Musketeers, which are okay but nothing special. But the Snickers is great, and so is the Twix version -- I might even prefer that to the Snickers. The Milky Way is good too (it would be much better if they had a dark chocolate version, though). I find that the smaller version is sized much better for my taste; the first couple of bites are good, but a full-sized bar gets boring by the end.

Agreed that the 3 Musketeers are the least interesting of the batch.

Not coincidentally, I use the same justification of the small size - but then, just switch to another bar for a new flavor, and then back again. No great surprise that the box empties in short order. :blink:

David aka "DCP"

Bought these yesterday (the minis) - how funny. I love em'

Favorites for me are the Snickers as #1 and the Milky Way #2....#3 is the Twix....just like all of you 3 Musketeers is good of course but comes in last. I would like this box to include an Almond Joy or Reeces ice cream variety...now we are talking!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Bought these yesterday (the minis) - how funny. I love em'

Favorites for me are the Snickers as #1 and the Milky Way #2....#3 is the Twix....just like all of you 3 Musketeers is good of course but comes in last. I would like this box to include an Almond Joy or Reeces ice cream variety...now we are talking!

Klondike makes a very good York Peppermint Patty, and they do a Reese's as well - never tried it.

An Almond Joy or Mounds flavor would be wonderful! :wub:

Stick those bags of minis right in the freezer. The Milky Ways and Three Musketeers become much more interesting.

:smile:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Klondike makes a very good York Peppermint Patty, and they do a Reese's as well - never tried it.

An Almond Joy or Mounds flavor would be wonderful!  :wub:

Will definitely have to keep my eyes out for the York flavor. Reese's seems hit or miss - some (like Klondike) are tasty, while others (can't think of the brand) are bland and insipid.

David aka "DCP"

Had one the other day (they are normally my summer treat, but had a craving), and just had to post here, as it was so divine... The true miracle of the things is how they manage to keep the caramel totally liquid while at the same time being paired with frozen ice cream. Every time I eat one I am just awestruck with how fabulously gooey the caramel is. And the fact that they didn't cop out and make the ice cream vanilla -- the ice cream is actually nougat flavored... Insert deep contented sigh here... I think I will have to get another one today...

Emily

That's a perfect description. I don't like regular snickers bars (so sue me :wink: ), but the ice cream bars are my favorites.

they also make the Snickers ice cream bar in a king size.

Guily as charged.  :biggrin:

They go down pretty smoothly, don't they? I'll pretend I didn't once grab a case at the local bulk retailer and kill a few at a time. :unsure:

David aka "DCP"