• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flower Show on Saturday

Jeff L

My wife and I are making our annual pilgrimage next Saturday morning. She liking the flowers, me just looking for another opportunity to eat lunch in a great or even good restaurant near the convention center.

She's not real keen on the Reading Terminal places and we'd like to try somerthing non-chinese (although I'd love to take her to Schezuan Tasty House) that would be open for lunch on Saturday.

No particular requirements other than those stated, suggestions?

How far afield from the Convention Center are you two willing to travel?

I would also try to persuade her to try Szechuan Tasty House if I were you and in the area, but if that fails, you certainly don't lack for options.

In the 1100 block of Walnut, two blocks south of the center's front door, you have both the Caribou Cafe, an excellent French bistro, and Moriarty's, home of the best Buffalo wings in Philly and good pub fare.

Over on Drury Street--the little alley just south of Chestnut that runs from 13th to Juniper--is McGillin's Old Ale House, the city's oldest continuously operating restaurant. Lots of old-time character, great beer list, and food that goes well with the beer. (There are photos of this place in my second foodblog.)

You might also want to try Vintage, the wine bar and restaurant on 13th below Sansom, which has good light fare as well as lots of interesting wines by the glass.

These should do for starters, I hope. I'm sure others will chime in.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

She's not real keen on the Reading Terminal places and we'd like to try somerthing non-chinese (although I'd love to take her to Schezuan Tasty House) that would be open for lunch on Saturday.

Rangoon is open for lunch, and is always good. Ditto Vietnam.

I've never had the sandwiches at Capogiro, but reliable sources say they're pretty good. And it's one stop shopping when it comes to dessert. And there's also El Vez around the corner, if you're into that. (I think the food is pretty good, and it'd be less obnoxious at lunch.)

What about Grocery, opened by the Lolita folks? It's on 13th just south of Chestnut. They have sandwiches, salads, soups, other prepared foods, and bottles of Lolita's margarita mixes (watermelon-mint, blood orange, etc.) to take home...mmmm.