• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold cereal as a night time snack

JAZ

I don't like to eat too soon before bedtime, but I'm definitely in the "I'm-too-hungry-and tired-to-cook-anything- and-there's-no-leftovers-so-I'll-eat-cold-cereal " camp. I tend to want cold cereal for dinner as well more in the summertime- probably get tired of eating other cold dinner options (salads, sandwiches, etc.)

And what is it about cornflakes with bananas that makes it such a good combination? I don't generally crave fruit on my cereal, but when I have cornflakes, I sorely miss the banana when its not there.....

Dry cereal IS one of my favorite snaks for anytime in the day. Mostly corn flakes. However, sometimes I will mix any kind of cereal (like muesli) with yogurt for a night snack.

In fact, I'm getting ready to fix me some of that right now!

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

I love cereal anytime of day, but one of my mother's favourite bedtime snacks is cereal with....sweet vermouth. She can't have too much milk (she's allergic--not lactose intolerant, but allergic), so she uses sweet vermouth instead. Sometimes, when she's feeling dangerous and she's willing to risk the allergic reaction, she uses Bailey's Irish Cream.

I don't eat cold cereal at all, but my dad ate cereal for a night time snack all the time.  He preferred ice cream, but cereal was second.

And my dad's favorite snack is cold cereal and ice cream. A big bowl of cereal, several scoops of vanilla ice cream, and then some sort of fruit scattered over the whole thing.

Sometimes for breakfast, sometimes for late-night snacks.

The kiddie type of sugary cereal never appealed to me. Probably because it wasn't allowed in the house growing up, so I never developed a taste for it. And then I raised my three kids, also without sugary cereal. But I do like many of the non-sugary types, and eat them fairly regularly, for breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack. That's also what I take along to snack on (dry) during road trips.

And sometimes, when my children were young and Dad had to work late, yep... "Oh stop complaining, kids. LOTS of people have Cheerios for dinner."

ETA: This thread reminded me of a murder case a few years back. The prime suspect, the husband, had an alibi for the day of the murder - he had been at work all day. The time of death had been established partially by the contents in the victim's stomach. It was undigested cold cereal. So the coroner initially assumed that the victim had died sometime fairly soon after breakfast.

But then, lo and behold, it was discovered that the victim often ate cold cereal for dinner.

And the jig was up for the murderous husband.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Coco Puffs and whole milk, eaten in front on the TV, watching trash -- be it a Dallas rerun or SATC, rule! Makes for a nice dessert and before bedtime treat.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

:huh:

Interesting. I've enjoyed hot cereal and all sorts of fruit, cooked, with milk or (much preferred) some yogurt, for dinner many times. Cold cereal, though? Never.

It doesn't especially appeal to me, but nutritionally I would guess it's waaaaay hell better than some -- or most -- of the most popular alternatives.

:cool:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

• 3 weeks later...
A bowl of bran cereal with raisins or a bowl of Grape Nuts, with milk or yogurt. Decent snack. ONLY good late at night.

Like Rebecca, a cup of bran cereal with raisins with milk or in a bowl a 1/4 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup water pinch salt 3 min. in the micro and finished with a little cream. Hot and good for you.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.