• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chef rivalry

Mr. Delicious

Do you have one or more chefs that you just cant stand? I live in an area with few GOOD food choices, and too many chains to choose from. Being a former sous chef at a chophouse in town and now a bakery owner I know just about everyone in the food industry locally, I get along with almost everyone except for that one arrogant prick (no names). Never liked the guy, dont know many that do, after being told by his sous chef that nobody else locally has gone to culinary school I lost respect, I havent eaten his food so I cant comment on that but, I just wanted to know if you all get along with your rivals. My former boss has his own rival that I get along with just fine. Ahhh drama!

I dont know about local rivary, but we deffinatly do joke about these things in my kithen. There is this one cook, who has the golden touch in our town. He is very young and extrelemy taltnted. I think he had his first chef job (rightfully so ) at 23. I always bring in his new menus and we scrutanize the hell out of them. We also to imrov comedy in the kitchen where each of us takes on the persona of a famous local chef. There is the science guy, the local produce guy, the drunk who runs the local irish pub, the head in structer of LCB, and the glamerous hotel chef who runs a resort in tech valley. This usually ends up wit us all screaming at eachother increasingly stereotypical things. "That beef isnt from old jim greys farm! get that sysco thing out of here!" " Look im not saying that roux isnt useful im just saying that we should put some xanthangum in that espagnole, as well maybe instead of serving a roast pork we can just serve the smell, you know in a glass, and then juice the potatoes, reduce them and then add the potato starch back to them after they have been carmelized" "Look I dont care what you do, as long as you turn that carrot and cook it vicy style in mineral water for gods sake, and butter, it needs butter."

I pay close attention to the menus in town, to see whose biting. A couple of guys I have seen using iron chef ideas loike a week after the show. As well there are a few guys who seem to borrow liberally form restaurants around town. I wonder if they realize that they are copying eachother?There is one guy who bites from other sources qite alot and I was think ing about maybe sending in a detailed prortfolia to the chefs hes ripped off, showing menus from the past year. Thus creatin a fued that could play out at the local chefs night.

My Garde mangier and I are also planing a future fued between the two of us. The story goes, we both graduate from culinary school next year and open a string of moderatlely successful restaurants. then for no reason one day I quit and move to japan for 3 years. I come baclk wise and missing a finger and open a small bistro across the way from his wine bar. We then poach employees liberally from eachother and order very expenise produts to the other's kithen. "Yes thats right id like 400 pounds of white alba truffles, that right I need them tomorrow so I suppose put them on an express flight, spare no expense. and any othe rexpensive mushrooms you can think of.. yeah Ill take those as well."